Home Page
  Home  |  Contents  |  Forum
Email   Bookmark   Print



Scoota Motor Windmill.  

I built this windmill to see if these cheap DC motors from www.oatleyelectronics.com were any good as a wind generator.

This is the motor I used. Its rated at 300 watts, 24 volts at 16 amps. They are very cheap at only $36 each. The motors are very well made and have a 9mm output shaft.
I laser cut these parts from 3mm steel. I had planned to sell the steel parts as a cheap windmill kit based on the Oatley motor. The design allowed any size mast from 25mm to 60mm, tail tube from 15 mm to 30mm, and adjustable pitch on the blade hub.
The laser cut plates made assembly easy. The whole project only took a couple of hours, including making the PVC blades.

Results.

The blades performed very well, achieving a high RPM for low wind conditions. Startup was quick as the DC motors have no cogging.

But output voltage was way down on what I had hoped for. In a 20kmh breeze, open circuit voltage was only 5 volts, even though the windmill was going like a bat out of hell. Surprising was the output current. When I shorted the windmill I had an easy 10 amps, and the windmill only slowed down slightly with this load.

So the windmill is a bit of a failure, at this time. But I do plan to try a boost converter that will increase the output voltage to over 13 volts for charging. Oatley Electronics sell a boost converter/charger kit for $14. The info on the controller IC, a MC34063, says it will run on as low as 3 volts. Output current is 2 amps max, but there are details on increasing this limit.

Update.

Well I've given up on the oatley motor as a wind generator. I did try a boost converter, but the results were pretty average. But these motors are great little motors neverless for their price. At 300 watts each a couple of these would be great on a little go cart.

This motor was the same model I used on my standby pressure pump.