Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:53 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Solar Controller

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:46pm 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm wondering if anybody would be able to help ?.

I must have done something about face or connected incorrectly -maybe?? don't really know ,it just stopped showing the solar charge symbol ,the little flashing arrow that shows a solar charge is going into the batteries.

Anyhow . I found a very small broken track on the board ,and bridged that out .

powered it up and smoke came out of a metal can capacitor (small fella close to the input terminals. Blew the can off the cap with a "BANG" and smoke and plastic foil everywhere.

so, I've fairly sure it's 100 v volts ,small value , sort of 4mmx 5mm tall cylinder type .

The question,

Has anyone ever seen a circuit for these Chinese controllers(possibly no ?)  or any clues ,like do you think I've much to lose if I power it up now -fixed track and new cap- She's only $30 ,so not going to break the bank (kids inheritance)

Hope you are all keeping well in these difficult times.

Bruce

Edited 2020-03-31 10:49 by brucedownunder2
Bushboy

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:48am 31 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce,
Can't see your picture.
This is a different brand of controller but otherwise very similar in appearance (on the outside) the cap on this one is 63v 100uf.

So far everything ok here, but not so good were we go to the shop.
Stay safe.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:44am 31 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will post this here Bruce, if thats OK.
The capacitor markings, trying to figure them out, most I have seen had the values written on them, just not this one.
2C 100 258

Possibly 2c date code,  100 capacitance and the last set is the voltage code, OR it could be the other way round.... depending on which manufacturer or code is chosen.

Ideas anyone?
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:55am 31 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

100uf, 25 volts.

Cheers
Mike

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 03:11pm 31 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great, thanks Mike
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 31 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mike.

I though it to be a higher voltage ,as the unit is 48 volts,but maybe the board voltage is reduced before that cap .
Has anyone seen anywhere that a replacement board for any of these controllers can be obtained..

48 volt models of this cheap cost are rare, most are 12-24,auto sensing of the voltage.

Having fun ,happy to just play with this . I,m back practising soldering in small parts under a magnifying light ,and scratching through my junk containers for parts. Rural means we just can,t run down to the parts shop .
Off to the hospital today ,some pretty nurses are going to dress my  ugly  wound in my neck.

Stay safe ,friends.
Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024