Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:12 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : PV Charge Controller for 100v Battery Bank Designs

Page 3 of 3    
Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 02:05am 17 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the final schematic for the 100 Khz (or higher) buck converter driver.

TL598 switch mode PSU chip manages the switching at whatever frequency has been set by its RC timing components. Its dead-time control input voltage is set by the cpu control low frequency pwm signal; the dead-time input overrides the internal comparators and allows external control of the output pwm to the mosfet driver.

The controlling cpu generates a 1 Khz pwm signal that is averaged by a low pass Bessel filter, 0v out = 100% dead-time (no pwm), 3.4v out = full output from the PSU chip.

The various voltage and current sense inputs connect to the existing outputs from the main power board; how well this scheme will work is unknown, I may require some frequency compensation in the voltage sense inputs, will find out once its built up.

cheers
Mike

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:50am 17 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have tried something similar in the past, but I used a D/A converter to adjust the high frequency pwm duty cycle. It worked very well.
Cheers,  Tony.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 08:28am 17 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes a D/A chip  would be a good idea also, one that used a I2C interface to set the output analog voltage perhaps. This circuit used as I already have all components on hand; will look online an see what modern D/A chips are available, possibly a digital pot chip would also work if they have enough resolution bits.

Perhaps I need to expand my programming knowledge a bit and go to a faster 32bit cpu, to achieve fast high resolution pwm and avoid these hacks.

Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:34am 17 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looked online, there are numerous D/A devices...

The MC4921, 12 bit with SPI serial interface seems quite easy to use, its data sheet is readily understandable with 2 minutes reading.
Another variant with an I2C, 12 bit is the MC4726, I guess after 2 hours careful reading and lots of stuffing around one could get it to work, seems overly complicated.

Have ordered a couple of the SPI versions to have a play with, these would have a much faster update speed over the I2C and seem better suited to my application. Will do a pcb that plugs onto the CPU control ribbon cable for the existing schematic, and then modify it for the SPI device on the same layout, so can experiment with both.

Edit:
PCB for above design, 57 x 63mm: Most components bottom mounted, as board flips over, top of controller.

Mike
Edited 2020-07-18 10:47 by Solar Mike

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024