Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:58 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Best way to string 40 deep cycles for 48 volts

mad jack

Posted: 10:09pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all this is my first question and I hope it is not stupid. I have just got 40 deep cycle AGM batteries and need help with setting up my bank.     So question is 10 parallel strings of four in series . or 4 series strings of 10 parallel .And what will make one option better than the other .     Thanks to everyone for all the help and information available here

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:14pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not a stupid question at all, problem having many batteries in parallel is getting equal current distribution between all cells in the parallel group, means some sort of very thick copper bus bars are required, or connecting cables all the same length. It may be easier to go with your first option, depending on situation..

Our 48v battery bank is 24 x 6volt lead carbon 300AH cells, these are arranged in 3 sets of 8 series strings paralleled  together. Reason for doing this is the batteries are mounted in steel racks bolted to the floor and wall (don't want them to fall over in an earthquake); each rack frame holds 8 batteries; it would be a very messy situation to arrange them any other way.

Each 48v string has its own breaker fuse dis-connector, the 3 strings terminate in 400A copper bars, all cables to each rack frame are the same size and length to keep current distribution the same.

If a battery goes faulty, you want to consider how easy it will be to remove it whilst possibly keeping the system live, series strings allow one group to be disconnected for maintenance.

Cheers
Mike

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:52am 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Completely agree with Mike, connecting multiple batteries in parallel, particularly secondhand batteries of unknown history can create future problems.

Ten parallel strings, each with four in series will enable you to check/monitor each battery individually. If one battery fails or becomes weak, you can disconnect that string and carry out whatever maintenance is required with minimum disruption to the rest of the battery.
Cheers,  Tony.

mad jack

Posted: 05:04pm 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mike ,Tony Thanks for the help . Mike do you use two pole breakers on each string to open both pos. and neg. or some other system to fuse / disconnect the strings.  Also for the buss bar I have 8x40 mm brass bar aprox. 1 meter long that I can make it from . will 2agw (33.6mm2)be large enough for each string to buss bar connection

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Circuit-Breaker-C65H-DC-2P-2-Pole-250V-DC-Solars-Energy-Air-Switch-Amps-Newest/264758360060?hash=item3da4d3f7fc:g:RUYAAOSwooxe349y
Cheers,  Tony.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:55pm 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mad jack said  Mike ,Tony Thanks for the help . Mike do you use two pole breakers on each string to open both pos. and neg. or some other system to fuse / disconnect the strings.  Also for the buss bar I have 8x40 mm brass bar aprox. 1 meter long that I can make it from . will 2agw (33.6mm2)be large enough for each string to buss bar connection

You can use circuit breakers for string isolators BUT: they must be non-polarized type, as currents can be bi-directional, the directional types have a +- symbol on them and must be wired accordingly for the internal magnetics to work.

I use HRC fuses in a holder that also acts as switch when pulled open by lever. 1 fuse in the +ve line in each string. The common bus-bar outputs have a large non polarized 250A circuit breaker supplying system.

Cheers
Mike

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A good explanation of polarize and non-polarized circuit breakers

here  for anyone like me who need to find out about this.

Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

mad jack

Posted: 12:55am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tony , yes I use 63a 400v like that before charge controllers to protect them . when I had them over paneled I saw 70+ amps through 60 amp controllers so removed some panels and added breakers  ,Mike  I don't find HCR fuse holders so have ordered 10 two pole non polarized breakers , With ten strings of 195 Ah I don't want to take chances .   Gerry , thanks  for the link good information for a beginner like me . Last thing I need is to burn down my shed

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024