Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:04 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : how to mount to roof?

adric22

Posted: 04:24am 24 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought some small 5W panels I'm going to use to power some attic fans. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to mount them to the roof. I am afraid if I send a screw through the shingles, that it will cause a leak.

Marcus20VT

Posted: 06:13pm 13 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey adric - I've just mounted my 12W panel today (after months of having it propped up against the shed, and a welcome break in the weather!)
I mounted 2 battons onto the roof via screws and siliconed all around the batton - I also put a dab of silicon on each screw.
Then simply mount the panel to the batons, without using screws too long that they would go through the batton - if that makes sense!
Have fun!

Gill

Posted: 01:23am 14 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day adric22,
You don't say how many panels to give an idea of size and possible wind loadings.
As the panels are very small, use battens as Marcus suggests but just Sikaflex-291 (marine grade adhesive/sealant/bedding compound) them to the tiles. No holes at all, and if you need to remove them later for an upgrade, cut between the batten with a filleting knife(long thin flexible blade) or hacksaw blade. So leave a thickish layer between the batten and tile. Do not squish most of the adhesive out when mounting battens.

Some of the smaller panels do not come with a mounting facility or brackets so again use Sikaflex. A thick dob in each corner does the trick. Again do not squash it down against the batten but leave a thick layer for later removal.

Beeuuuudifull!
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Robb

Posted: 06:39am 14 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Shingles are wood right???? Wood that shrinks and expands with rain and sun. Wood that can split.

I don't think the rules for shingles would be the same as tiles.

Gill

Posted: 09:26am 14 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Robb,
I'm sorry mate, you seem to be raising a criticism but I'm a bit slow I guess because I don't see what it is. You say shingles are not same as tiles.
OK, So what are the rules for shingles that do not apply to tiles as it applies to the suggestions so far?
What is your better recommendation to correct whatever downfall it is you see in the previous replies?
Please help me understand.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Marcus20VT

Posted: 10:34am 14 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sikaflex-291

Hey - I never thought of anything like that (Derr!)
Gripfill would also work a treat, but it might be difficult to remove. However, if you just gripfill the battons, then Bob's your auntie's live in lover!

Robb

Posted: 05:48am 17 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Firstly Gill if that was taken as offensive I apoligise. Basicly I was trying to help.

As I see it (and I'm open to correction)
Tiles:
  • are heavy
  • long lasting
  • have minimal warpage with water
  • offer a reliable surface to glue to

Shingles:
  • will rot
  • will warp
  • are not heavy
  • will allow water congrigate & rot the wood under the area covered buy glue
  • may leak or split if drilled

The iron roof on my house did >65 years prior to replacement. I think iron would be a good starting point.

Gill

Posted: 10:27am 17 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Robb,
Good one now, I just didn't know where you were going with that post. It didn't make sense for me, as I said.

I guess Marcus will take all points raised on board then deciding. He's probably combined suggestions and welded them on already. Ha.ha!

Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024