Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:36 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Solar trackers

Fuzzer

Posted: 10:18am 20 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello to all, I am doing research on gains from dual axis solar trackers for a possible sun farm at my place, I was wondering if anyone has had experience or seen first hand the Portasol trackers?. They have no electrical components but rely on expanding canola oil at a measured rate to track the sun.
Any honest info (apart from their website) would be appreciated.

Regards, Fuzzer
fuzzer

wind-pirate

Posted: 03:28am 27 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would think that canola oil would expand at a differant rate in hot weather as to cold weather.

My neighbour made a tracker with a small barrel of water. He put a tap in the bottom of the barrel, then fills it with water. opens the tap to a drip as the barrel gets lighter the counter weight returnes the panels to the sunset. The water is not wasted, it waters the flowerbed.

Ron
THE Pirate.
stealing wind & solar energy is fun

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 01:43am 28 Dec 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

too expensive, he want a good few thousand to do what the "conventional" ones do for a grand.
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024