Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:33 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : My solar system

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:24pm 26 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

After a long time of no activity regarding to my windmill (family problems), these days I acquired my first "deep cycle" solar sealed battery (12V/250Ah).

I have also a 12V/74Watt solar panel, aquired in December. Next days I will buy the cables and system will be ready and soon, windmill will be ready too.

here

here

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gill

Posted: 02:20am 27 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Vasi,
Good to hear you are able to get back into your projects. I think family matters are the priority for most of us and projects must take a siesta when our attention is needed with the family.

Your choices of battery and solar panel look good. With any renewable energy system it is better to use more than one energy source to keep getting input when one source is low or nonexistent, but of course you know this.

Great to hear things getting closer to wind gen operation. That will be the best day.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 09:50am 07 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I finished installing and connecting control panel, battery and solar panel last night. At morning,was a cloudy day, solar panel producing a maximum of 13,8 volts. Now the sun is appearing from the clouds and panel have right now 14,65 volts and battery still charging (is almost ready).

These days I will test the battery capacity to see how much I can use every electrical consumer ...

Now the system is ready for windmill ...

Edited by vasi 2009-03-08
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 10 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The PICAXE08M controller is working nice but I think is something wrong with my battery. Is discharging fast (in minutes) from 14.4V to 13V having only the controller as consumer. Then, discharging is slowed. With controller on, it will not reach 11V (a limit when consumer is disconnected) all night and morning, when charging is started. Not connected yet a consumer, I have a cold because of the spring wind . But I can see from my bed when LED's go on/off.

Today not reached a complete charging because of clouds. I'm curious to see how is working with the windmill...Edited by vasi 2009-03-11
Beyound Arduino Lang

GWatPE

Posted: 02:13pm 10 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You have a 250Ah battery. You appear to have a 7805 reg on the picaxe board. Can you measure the current in the control board? I keep the current in any battery connected cct to <10mA/100Ahr of battery capacity. The voltage from 14.4-13.1 is only surface charge. The capacity will only really diminish as the voltage drops below 13.1V. I try and keep discharge voltage on my 24V system to above 25V. This is approx a 25% depth of discharge. Pb-acid batteries like to be kept charged at close to the float voltage, to achive a long service life. Deep cycling will reduce life. Obviously the battery is really only useful in a RE system if there is some degree of cycling.

I would only worry if the battery spends a lot of the time around 12V. What voltage does the battery drop to over night? When are the relay coils activated?

Gordon.
Edited by GWatPE 2009-03-12
become more energy aware

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:32pm 10 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I need to make some measurements. Yes, is an 7805.

I have an input available on PICAXE so I want to connect a switch for maintenance charging mode. Charging at maximum 12.8V - 13V ...

The only data I have now (acquired before I get a cold) is about time of charging/discharging 13V - 14.4V - 13V
having only controller as consumer.

[code]
volts    13V --> 14.4V --> 13V --> 14.4V
--------------------------------------------
time    1:53 --> 02:31 --> 3:05 --> 3:49

[/code]
Edited by vasi 2009-03-12
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:04pm 10 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The current is around 133.5 mA with two LED's (double intensity) and one relay on (maybe I must change the battery on my multimeter ...).

Now I'm curious to see how my first controller (with two oamps 741) is working...Edited by vasi 2009-03-12
Beyound Arduino Lang

GWatPE

Posted: 04:05am 11 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The relay would be the culprit. I design with double throw relays, so I can select NO or NC contacts, to avoid having relays powered unless power consumed would go to a diversion or is excess to battery needs.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:31am 23 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Repost of missing post

vasi wrote.....

My green LED died (double intensity - you can see, it still emits light)! Is connected at 5V with a 1K resistor.

I lost also 10 white LED's double intensity, used on a LED lamp as here, the same behaviour as green LED.

No data about those LED's ...

Sorry Vasi, lost the picture. Could you repost it?
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 04:29am 24 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024