Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:21 12 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Private PV farm

GWatPE

Posted: 06:23am 17 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The economics of a 10kW 1phase, or 30kW 3phase PV grid connected solar RE farm seems pretty good. The banks are giving poor returns on investment and the stock market is not real good at the moment. I would expect that 10-20% return might be expected, in SAus anyway, with up to 64c/kWhr paid.

Are there readers who have considered more than the 1kW rebated system?

Gordon.
become more energy aware

petanque don

Posted: 12:58am 20 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When the small system with a subsidy doesn’t make economic sense.

It seems unlikely that a larger system would make sense.

While discounting rates are an individual thing.

Myself if I had the option of spending $100,000 over the next few years and getting the enjoyment from this consumption now this seems more desirable than spending all the money now and getting a few hundred dollars to spend for the next 50 years.

How you value the warm fuzzy feeling from being kind to the environment compared the enjoyment of consumption would be a personal thing.

While interest rates may be very low at present it is pessimistic to thing the global economic crisis will last for the next 50 years.

What will be the average interest rate for the next 25 to 50 years I would not know but it probably will be higher than at present.

Sensibly if solar towers or geothermal electricity become commercial they may provide a better return.

Presently wind farms give a better return providing you have a good site.

GWatPE

Posted: 10:44am 20 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

petanque don said  Myself if I had the option of spending $100,000 over the next few years and getting the enjoyment from this consumption now this seems more desirable than spending all the money now and getting a few hundred dollars to spend for the next 50 years.

Hi Don,

I cannot say I based my calcs on a warm fuzzy feeling.

My modest system, produces approx $1200 of power that I use in my house, that I do not have to pay a utility to supply, and in addition provides me with $1200 cash for the power that I sell per year. To portray that if you spend $100,000 and only get a few hundred dollars to spend for the effort is just a lie.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

RevUpWind

Posted: 03:42am 21 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Coming week will have a 2.7Kw system with 10x 170watt Schott panels. Inverter is a Fronius IG30 and hope to also feed our 2x dual stator windmills through it.

Have the $8000 grant and matched that to get to the 10 panels which on figures should supply close to 70% of our needs. It is all looking viable with maybe just a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling.

Does anyone have some thoughts on what type of controller is best to use to feed into this inverter? MPP voltage input is 150-400 V with a max of 500V. Read on the forum thread on capacitors someone feeding as low as 54 V to the inverter in a grid feed system.

Wind & Sun, freely given and thankfully used.
PeterEdited by RevUpWind 2009-02-22
....River Heads - Australia
The wind blows wherever it wishes; you hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going.

GWatPE

Posted: 04:00am 21 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RevUpWind said   Coming week will have a 2.7Kw system with 10x 170watt Schott panels. Inverter is a Fronius IG30 and hope to also feed our 2x dual stator windmills through it.

Does anyone have some thoughts on what type of controller is best to use to feed into this inverter? MPP voltage input is 150-400 V with a max of 500V.

Re para 1. 10 x 170W panels = 1700W.   Maybe you mean the inverter is 2.7kW

Good luck with a high voltage controller. This cannot be ON/OFF type control and must be fast response or the inverter wil fry. No point in saying MPP voltage, as this relates to a solar installation.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

AMUN-RA

Posted: 09:12am 21 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your in queensland so you cannot feed the wind into the grid if on the solar bonus scheme it only pays for solar generated power.
Ig 30 is designed for solar, if the grid goes down where does the power from the mills go think I can smell smoke??
Mick.
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

RevUpWind

Posted: 04:47am 23 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick, it was an idea and too much of a fiddle to make it work. And of course as you say the IG30 is only for solar and had no idea you cannot even do it legally.   Am happy to run my shed, tools etc. on the mill, so still a happy little vegemite
Peter
....River Heads - Australia
The wind blows wherever it wishes; you hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going.

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:29am 26 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon,
I have not considered the economics of such a large system.
What's your thoughts?? Whats your numbers???

Trev @ drivebynature.com

GWatPE

Posted: 10:34pm 26 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi trev,

You can get solar systems in container quantity for $4200/kW. I have estimated approx 20% return on investment. Much better than the bank, or even the stock market.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Zank

Posted: 01:52am 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That last post must have everyone thinking!!!

We should all do this if time*money*space=ok
What goes around ....

nitrodave

Posted: 04:13am 21 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have just started researching the idea of a solar farm and it looks promising. Would be interested to know if anyone else has done the same thing in the Adelaide hills area

petanque don

Posted: 01:06am 01 Jun 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At the present time people are offering 4% for bank style investments. So $100,000 will give a return of $4,000 if you just do nothing. Averaged over the next 20 years (payback for a solar system) interest rate are likely to be more.

While I don’t know how unreliable solar systems are there is some chance something will go wrong.

Such as struck by lightning or earthquakes for instance.

So you should get some premium for this risk.

Is the $4200 per Kw system installed?

GWatPE

Posted: 07:16am 04 Jun 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said  You can get solar systems in container quantity for $4200/kW. .

This was for the container of bits, including panels, framing, cabling and connections and inverters. Land not included, or labour.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024