Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:19 11 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Value for money

glasshousehouse

Posted: 02:10am 27 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum, I'm seeking info on grid connect systems as we're looking to buy a ~2KW system with our first home buyers grant.

We're trying to cut through the BS all of the sales people are spinning from various companies (around brisbane). Prices are ranging from $5k to $13k for similar sized systems, which is confusing.

I assume the cheaper quotes are using chinese products? Whilst generally oposed to chinese manufactured goods, the price is very tempting.

At the higher end of the quotes the companies are standing by the quality of their products and rubishing inferior products... but with no moving parts, can much go wrong?

I have yet to find out the exact warranties offered by each company, but I seem to remember one of the cheaper companies offers a 10 year product warranty.

Would a $5000 system with a reasonable warranty be more value for money than a higher quality, more expensive system?

Many thanks in advance.

AMUN-RA

Posted: 10:14am 27 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you get what you pay for look for 25 year to 80% for panels
5 years for your inverter. for brisbane
choice electric
conergy
both have great systems but at a premium price
I have a conergy system and it hasn,t missed a beat yet
www.cranbrooksolar.com this is my system

Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

petanque don

Posted: 03:59am 28 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Several issues for the very long guarantee are:

Will you still own the system in 25 years?

If the guarantee covers manufacturing defects as most do what happens if after ten years water gets in the panel and they claim that it is because of movement and improper installation?

What if the company goes broke?

Personally I would purchase the cheaper system with the ten year warrantee it may even have a payback period of less than ten years.

You would then have 5-7,000 to spend on some thing else (you could perhaps upgrade your car to something with better fuel efficiency that would give additional benefit to the environment).

You could even put this money aside and if the present system needs replacing you would have a start on what it will cost.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024