Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:29 12 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : the reality of net export

GWatPE

Posted: 08:06am 06 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have compiled a weeks logging of net energy use for an all electric home. This is warts and all data.

Above the horizontal line is NET Export, and below the line is NET Import. There are numbers in red that are the kWhr readings for the day.

First day is 29/08/09.

An interesting point is that on one day, the evening cooking session amounted to a maximum of 2.5kWhr. approx 50c.

on one day, the solar RE amounted to 14.9kWhr.

The effect of clouds on Solar RE harvest is quite clear as well.

The Base load of the house is approx 190W, and this is attributed to the 4 laptops that are logging data presently. In will be investigating an Intel Atom PC, for all logging soon. My intention is to allow real time viewing of all my data through the internet. Must talk to Gizmo!!

Most solar installs will be like this, with a fair proportion of Solar RE exported.

The hardware tools to get the data I presented are OFF the shelf, with my own modified software. These will work on any system up to 100A 240VAC, 3 sensors.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

luddite42

Posted: 01:38pm 07 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

May I communicate directly with you off-forum please Gordon. If you don't remember me - I am the guy in the Adelaide Hills with a stand alone solar system.

GWatPE

Posted: 12:41am 08 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I usually make time to talk to people who drop by.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 10:29am 08 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Gordon,
I am thinking of getting the logger with two or three probes, what is the chance of getting a copy of your logging software?

also is it "plug and play" other than setting com ports and such

I also understand if you cant offer the software....

Cheers!
Richard

GWatPE

Posted: 01:31pm 08 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard,

The program is plug and play with the Current Cost meter. I would normally tailor the software, to the logging requirements.

For instance, I measure SolarRE, Total House loads, and Off-Peak hot water loading. I calculate Net Import/Export.

On another app, I set up measuring of a solar bank #1, solar/wind bank #2, and house loading. Both solar systems are the same, so wind can be calculated by difference, and total RE by sum. The net import/export can also be calculated.

I have incorporated scaling into the 2 plug in channels, so Centimeter sensors can be used. The comm port once established can be set within the program, without needing to manually edit the config file. There is presently a large data window displaying the RAW data string, that I still have to try and hide. The data for each channel and the calculated values are displayed on this window. There are logging start/stop buttons, and a setup button, and a graphing window button. The graphing window has Whr totals for the logging interval of each channel and for calculated data. There are preset time buttons. I am looking at a last 10minute logging button for the latest logging trend.

I have only written code for people I know or have met. This is not commercial software, even though the hardware is. The modded software I have made for others has required some personal explanations, as I am not real good with documentation. If you saw how my app works, you may wish to try it. The program is continually being revised, so I could provide an executable of the current app.

As I have said, I normally make time for visitors. Most travellers along the South coast would have been past my place.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

whirlybird

Posted: 12:13pm 16 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Gordon a very interesting article and in some respects has saved me some work.I as I am sure I would like to get a work in progress version of your software (as I am sure many thers would as well not much written for windows all Linux that leaves me behind a bit)as I would love to be able to measure the many parameters of the new solar panels we have just imported from o/seas.
I have a spare lap top God love em they run forever on my battery bank.
This one will be just for my weather station and data loging.
Are you the chap that lives
down Port Elliot way on the main road I am at Unley Park in the city but going to test the council with a 32foot tower and see what they do about it 5m blade swept area on one of our s12 motors using the inbuilt 6to1 gear
box.
clear winds and good luck,
regards,
Bob

I am because I am.I am not always right but often I am.

GWatPE

Posted: 10:50pm 16 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

I worked within the guidelines provided by my council. If you go outside the guidelines, then any complaints made will result in others confronting an offside council, and you being required to remove or modify your windmill to meet council requirements.

If your windmill meets council requirements, then any complaints by locals will not be suppported by council without supporting contra documentation from the complaintant.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024