Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:41 12 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : What’s the best Solar Cell glue?

floodrod

Posted: 06:45pm 11 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When gluing solar cells to a backing, what's the best type of glue to use? I would assume a type that allowed flexing for temperature changes. So the two that are coming to mind are clear silicone or hot glue.

Which would work best?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:34pm 11 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would use a neutral cure silicon, just a blob in the middle. Dont use anything that expands or shrinks as it cures. Hot glue may cause a localised thermal shock and crack the cell.

I was involved with a solar car once. The cells were laid across a curved surface, so no cells could sit flat. A blob of silicon was used and it worked fine, but there were gaps under the cells, so a team member tried a squirt of expanding foam under a few cells to fill the gaps. The foam expanded and destroyed the cells, bad idea.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:45pm 12 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Double sided sticky tape perhaps? They do make a high quality version which seems to hold well to plastic, have not tried it on solar cells though.
Klaus

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024