Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:55 12 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : jaycar energy meter

Page 1 of 2    
rgormley

Posted: 02:24pm 12 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

anyone using the jaycar energy monitor?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6155&keywords= power+monitor&form=KEYWORD

http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargephoto.asp?id=13109&PRODNAM E=Mains%20Power%20Monitor&IMAGE=

so the questions...
1: can i use two probes at the same time? One for import from the grid and another probe for import from my solar inverter?

2: want to know if the PC logging software can record the two inputs separately

or better still over lay the 2 inputs on the screen?

is it a case of using one only for single phase monitoring
OR all 3 probes together for 3 phase monitoring?

ie: single phase monitor or 3 phase monitor but not 2 x single monitoring

Cheers

GWatPE

Posted: 12:06am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard,

I am probably the resident expert on this at the moment.

As far as I know, the unit in the original form adds readings from up to 3 sensors on the one unit, as well as adding the data from additional units that are on the same RF channel. Individual channels are not recorded. OIn the software, you have to reenter the port number, each time the program is run. The live mode display is not easily logged. When I tried to log overnight, the program locked up the PC. The CurrentCost software, in original form is designed for showing daily/weekly/monthly and possibly yearly trends in power usage, from data stored in the black box transmitter. Thge LCD is a display unit, and computer COMM interface.

The units are not going to replace the power meter supplied by the utility on the grid connection.

These units have current clamp sensing, and calculate power. For most applications, like looking at trends, with the same loads, this is perfectly OK. This is designed for changing usage pattern, not necessarily equipment.

I have written my own VBcode to decypher the data output from the unit. You may wish to write your own. The intended purpose of the data, determins what is recorded.

I have writtten 2 versions myself. One records peak and Offpeak consumption and RE production. Another records solar and solar/wind RE production, and house consumption.

From the raw data, a swag of calculated data can also be graphed.

I have graphical output overlays of up to 6 data sets. Any more and things get cluttered. These graphs can be turned on/off as required, and trends from day to day, can be viewed with mouse clicks on the files.

The sensors only measure current, and not any phasing, so they read AC current as a positive number. The sensor has no polarity. It is pointless to measure the grid, as the meter cannot tell if the current is import, or export.

The total RE, and the total house loading at the same time is measured, and the net import/export is calculated.

I have a particular coding style. I record RE on channel 1, and house loading on channel 3. If you had the same sensing, then my program would give instant W RE production and house consumption, and net import/export W, updated with the latest data from the sensors. The historical data, collected and stored at 5s,10s,20s, whatever timing interval can be displayed on a graph. This is similar to the way Gizmo displayed on his piclog. I have added many features to allow rapid examination of daily data, current and historical, with mouse click selection. I have provided daily kWhr meters. that also work over any portion of the day. I also have a .CSV button, so the data can be exported for further analysis with spreadsheet/database etc. I also have quik select buttons, so portions of the day, and the last trends can be easily viewed with a click.

The program requires the prolific COMM driver to be installed, and mscomm32.ocx in the system. I have a program config file for port number, timing interval, and other parameters.

I have been unable to get the COMM to work on Vista64bit.

I don't think may readers have these units, as I have had little response to comments I have posted.

I will investigate some options for providing a demo that will work for a short time.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 01:04am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Gordon,

i would love to be able to configure software to my own like, but i have never played with any coding software.

Funnily enough though I build/ repair/remove virus etc as a small home service business i run,

but those names like c+ pascal, cobolt, python (sound like a name of snake)and others are just a magical unknown language to me.

I`m quite good at nutting things out given the basics of how something works, and a working sample, So maybe I will look into the source code (python) they supply in the current cost meter. Or do they?

Or am I barking up a tree that is way to high for me?

Cheers,
Richard

GWatPE

Posted: 03:29am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard,

"Cobol", is a business orientated language.

Computer Programming languages can be a bit daunting.

Bolty an I took a punt and purchased 2, with some additional clamps, on EBay. We were disapointed with the operation of the units. I put together some code and was able to record the data coming out of the display unit. It turns out that the data format changes at odd times and it was difficult to get an idea of the the task needed to make sense of it. I had a lot of trouble locking onto the data stream, as the string is sometimes over 1200 characters long. It turns out that most of the data is just retransmitted historical data, and is not much use.

I found a way of locking onto the start of the data string, and ignoring the rubbish, until synchronizing was achieved. Corrupt data still has to be found and ignored, without being logged.

here is a pic, of some test solar data

data can be viewed with single mouse click on the file list window. I think you can get an idea of what is possible.

The program that can be downloaded from the net was written in Python. The guy who wrote it is a programmer for IBM. I looked at the examples and decided to start from scratch.

Do you have one of these units, or is this all just hypothetical.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 03:40am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

on my way to jaycar now 1:38pm to pick up a unit

GWatPE

Posted: 03:45am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard,

If you want to talk about it ring me.

zeroeighteightfivefivefouronenineninefive.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 05:21am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon, ok will, do let me get the unit installed and running,

i got trade price $160.95

will report back when it`s up and going..

rgormley

Posted: 06:46am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hhmm how to reset ALL stats on the transmitter unit?

it has logs/stats going back to the 3rd sept,

i want it to log from today 13th sept going forward

rgormley

Posted: 07:51am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ok 1st thing i noted was the wire going to the air con breaker.... hhhmmmmmmmm winter we dont use it i wonder if it uses standby power...yep 52 watts!!! per day

25 cents a day!! (.203 per kwh)

off with that sucker till we need it again in summer...

gordon: got the software up and running

the unit looks like it has some previous stats in it going back to 3rd sept (jaycar may have been playing with it?) shows
do you know how to clear all stats??

GWatPE

Posted: 07:53am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard,

I am not sure of a reset all, apart from removing the batteries in the TX unit.

My logging uses none of the built in recording of the WattsClever unit. On mine all the internal accumulated registers are full of garbage. The clock gains or loses 10-20 minutes per day, so that is not much good. I only use the raw "Watts" data, and the computer clock as a time base.

If U get me an email, I can send U a demo.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 07:58am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gordon my eeeeeemmmmmmaaaaaaiiiiilllllll addddressssss
(hope this stuffs the auto data miners....)

r
g
o
r
m
l
e
y
@yahoo
DOT
COM

GWatPE

Posted: 09:18am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No worries Richard.

I have made a trial version that will be good till the end of the month. Logging will be disabled after this time, but you can still view the collected data.

Will email you, just the .exe file, as a .zip, or similar.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 09:57am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

here is a screen grab of the old dates that i cant clear
has some large reading that skew my real averages
note i bought the unit today but it has data back to the 5th

GWatPE

Posted: 10:37am 13 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

looks a bit 2nd hand.

Have sent the files 2 U.

You need to place the files in a folder of your choice, and create a sub folder called logs, for the new data. You need the mscomm32.ocx in the right place, system32.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

phred01

Posted: 11:18am 16 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all
Just spotted this unit on the shelves @ the Jaycar shop. The user manual doesn't say much. Have a number of questions regarding accuracy. To calculate power there must be a measurement or assumption of the supply voltage. For-example I have a Wattson that comes with 2 current probes but the unit assumes the supply is 220v so it under estimates the power by around 7%. The second problem is the power factor correction for things like unloaded transformer or motor otherwise the power consumption is very high when in actual fact very little power is consumed. Does the Jaycar unit take the power factor into account?

GWatPE

Posted: 10:42pm 16 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The units only measure AC current. The units are no replacement for a kWh meter. There are some linearity issues, and power factor will play a part.

In the application I have, I look at trends, and comparisons. The units are suited to providing power usage indications, but not billing.

My unit overestimates low power.

The units are ideal for highlighting poor and good energy use practices.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 08:11am 19 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hey Gordon and others

if i hook up a second probe (output of inverter) to my classic cost meter does the software (standard current cost V 0.9.28) show the 2nd probe as a seperate input (displayed graphed and logged)

OR does it just combine it to the first probe and show totals of the both probes?

Regards,
Richard

rgormley

Posted: 04:45am 20 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon,

installed the prolific driver installed and your software has fired up!!

rang jaycar to go and get some extra probes, they could not find them the computers stock says 2, but he could not find them in the store, he said will get some in for next weekend

Edited by rgormley 2009-09-21

rgormley

Posted: 11:03am 26 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

here is the data log reset procedure if anyone needs it

To clear all settings on the device to factory settings please perform the
following:

1. Remove the power lead from the monitor.
2. hold down the up and down arrow buttons and keep them pressed.
3. reconnect the power lead while the above buttons are down.
4. the display should show all LCD segments on, release the buttons.
5. the display should show two values 1. The firmware version and 2. The
amount of memory 1023
6. Disconnect and reconnect the power to resume normal operation.

All settings will be cleared including any tariff values that you may have
set.

GWatPE

Posted: 12:12pm 26 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard,

Is good to get the reset procedure. The program I have does not use any stored data in the display, as once you connect more probes, the LCD only displays the algebraic sum of the power measured. If you want to see the individual readings, it is no use. My LCD is purely an interface between the black box sensors and the computer.

I have not seen much interest in my program, The time interupted version I gave you will still work for parts of a month. I am reluctant to spend more time on this app.

Did you get some extra probes? Do you have any recorded data yet?

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024