Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:57 11 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Home made solar panel pics

floodrod

Posted: 01:43am 27 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just finishing my 4th half panel.. Tomorrow I will put up the 2nd completed panel to catch some rays!

5" 5-amp cells. 18 per 1/2 panel, 36 per full panel. Max output= 18V at 5 amps per panel. Schotty 8 amp diode installed on each full panel.

No wood is being used in construction. Waterproof plastic back-splash sheeting is used as backing, 1/2" acrylic rods for the frame, and 1/4" acrylic sheet tops. Glass would be better, but the prices are steep.

My first attempt has cracked cells from learning, but is putting out 17V at 2.5 amps in 50 degree direct sunlight. These new ones came out much better.. Edited by floodrod 2009-10-28

GWatPE

Posted: 03:11am 27 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi floodrod,

I used similar Solarex cells on my WSC solar car. Some cracked in the construction, but output current did not change much. Are you measuring at the MPP. 17V is a bit high for 36 poly cells.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

floodrod

Posted: 03:54am 27 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ya, it took a few shots to figure out a system that worked smoothly when constructing. I found preparing the tabbing wire by tacking it to a table and silver-tipping it saved hours of fuss. It makes the tabbing wire stiff and easy to align, and makes soldering the cells easy.

I am Measuring voltage going into the charge controller unloaded. When hooked to a battery bank, the voltage is between 12-13V depending on the charge level. The amps reading is being measured between the charge controller and the batteries.

joeb

Posted: 06:10pm 05 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

how long did it take you to complete that? I've always wanted to attempt making my own solar panels, but just found it too time consuming...
--------------------------
Joe Brown
green all the way
www.SolarElectricityBasics.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024