Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:39 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Comparing Grid Feed Systems

chookie

Posted: 03:40am 10 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wondering if anyone can help making the decision of which offer to accept? We were very lucky to get in on the last day of the $8K rebate and have just got thru our approval. We live near Taree, NSW.

Since this process took so long i have had the opportunity to search for options that may have been cheaper (if the rebate didn't eventuate and we had to pay for it all ourselves)
Not sure if i should mention companies -

Quote 1 From a large company in Dural(no site visit)
Inverter is 2 KW OrionSPG 360 2KO
Panels 6 x Solar ET M572170 (1020 watts)
plus alum. mounting frame
Cost $4004 minus the REC's

Quote 2 From a small more local Bamboo & Solar Shop who did come out and have a look
Inverter is 3KW Conergy WR3300
Panels 6 x 170watt panels (think they are conergy as well)
apparently no mounting frame is required?
Cost $2427 minus the REC's

Any comment on any aspect of, or if you have any experience with an alternative company, will be gratefully accepted. Huge investment, big decision so i really want to get it right. Thanks in advance

Edited by chookie 2009-11-11
Smile - be happy - life is too short

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 24 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK
Investment huge with the 8K rebate- I dont think so.

I just took a Job with Sunconnect- Perth based but I'll ring the boss and see if he can do yours

Short 1.05KW system Orion 2.2KW transformerless inverter
sungrid panels (aus company +tolerance panels -the best I have seen as far as construction)

Tiled roof extra $100 (cost of the mounts)
double storey add $400 (cost of scaffold/cherry picker)

out of your $8K you'll get $400 change

send me an email karlajensen at optusnet.com.au
obviously change the "at" for @

This system is obviously upgradeable to 2.2KW when you have some spare coin for more panels -currently $1200 a throw + install and min string of 3.

regards Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 10:37am 25 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am considering going with this mob: http://www.nuenergy.com.au/solar-power/special-offers.html
Does anyone have feedback about Nuenergy? Is it safe to give them $2500 upfront?
The deal seems almost too good to be true.

chookie

Posted: 11:16am 25 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have just checked out the website and yes that seems cheap for a 1.5Kw system. I would check out the quality of the panels and the inverter tho. i think i read somewhere that they are chinese and not the best, but please do not quote me on that. I'm no expert just a consumer on a sharp learning curve!

chookie

Posted: 11:32am 25 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What i don't understand is.... i was lucky enough to get approval for the $8K rebate. How does this devalue my RECS?
i received quote today that offered me an amount for my RECS, which on doing some quick calculations turned out to be $10.68 each. When I pointed out that RECs were trading at over $30 each at the moment it was told that there was a fee for selling them on my behalf??
Are there 2 tiers of pricing systems, one for the old rebate customers and another for newer ones. What i had hoped was to utilise the money to buy a bigger system.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:50am 25 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mmmmmm

I cant go anywhere near that price, for 1.5KW through me you're looking at $8900 after the 5x recs.

All I can say is good luck with that and although the saying is always true, you get what you pay for, it doesnt exactly look like a fly by night show so flip the coin and go for it.

$500 extra is good piece of mind that they will install at all, pay the deposit only perhaps

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:55am 25 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

even at $30 your RECS are only worth $600 odd bucks.
under the new scheme you will get 5x that masking $3K which is still peanuts given 6months ago they were $50-60.

I meant to post this the other night but if it were me and I've given my dad the same advise for his 2KW system under the old rebate and that is KEEP THEM!!!!

wait until the emissions trading scheme gets up in 18months time and their value will have increased four fold..

ZONE 3 MElbourne they are worth
1.382x 1(KW) x 15 (years) x$30
=$623

in Sydney they are worth another $100odd but I dont have the exact calculation (1.xxx) for SYD.

Bolty

Posted: 09:45pm 25 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My son went for the Nuenergy 1Kw system under the old rebate scheme and paid the $2500 deposit. He was initially concerned that this may have been dodgy!

His system is now installed and operational. The service from the installers was excellent, especially seeing that he had a very difficult installation due to a 45 degree roof pitch above a double storey house.

His components are top quality and the system works well. He has now received his $2500 refund, although this did take about 2 months.

I have recently signed up with them for a 1.5Kw system which will cost me $3000.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 26 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

NUenergy vs SUNCONNECT

you decide.....

Nu Energy one of the largest providers in Australia.
They are cheaper, for several reasons actually.
A quick summary:

•They sell without site inspections prior and without using F2F reps – so they do cut out the sales / site inspections costs

•They do blanket market - as a legacy of this they have previously sold hundreds of customers around Australia they weren’t able to then install as they didn’t have installers where they sold in some regional areas –

•The quality of their components is not high comparatively – as we tell customers, we can get panels just as cheap as theirs, but we refuse to – if a customer honestly expects us to get the cheapest components on the planet and then back a warranty / output guarantee on those components for 25 years, that just doesn’t add up

•Our warranty is the highest in Australia – 10 year physical warranty (as opposed to the standard 5 year) – that extra 5 years of coverage is worth literally thousands of dollars

•Output – this is a big point – ‘positive tolerance’ from flash testing means our 175W panels usually test at around 180W – 185W, our competitors (such as Nu Energy) have up to -9% flash testing which on a 190W rated panel would equate to an actual output as low as around 173W – so over 1.5kW system this means ours puts out about 1575W as opposed to Nu Energy which can output as low as 1365W – this loss of output over a 30 year system life equates to thousands of dollars again – which is worth more than the price difference

•When the general public hear about a 1.5kW system, they don’t know about actual output variance due to tolerance ratings, as per the point above, so they are misled by lack of knowledge

•Inverter – Nu Energy’s standard inverter is 1.7kW, ours is 2.2kW – ours is more upgradable obviously

•If you average out their margins per customer, and then try to calculate how they are going to genuinely support all of those thousands of customers with
(a) customer service
b) fault and warranty support, for 5 or 10 years to come, there is no way they are factoring in any real support for that kind of timeframe, we are

•The full value of the system is reimbursed by: savings, federal gov’t, state gov’t feed-in-tariff. So, bottom line, as long as the customer can cover the short term chip in per week (our weekly plans also make a big difference in the price war), why wouldn’t they get the best quality components, rather than taking a punt on the cheapest gear. The better the components and the more upgradable, the more capital value they add on their house, and in the long run the gov’t has foot the bill any way

•We are middle of the road price-wise, but have literally the highest quality components in Australia – if someone else comes out with better, we will simply switch to that

•Also, bear in mind that Nu Energy is speculating on RECS prices at the moment.
RECS traders are now starting to talk about fixing RECS prices for companies like us / our competitors (futures trading) – if that happens in the short term, we will be able to narrow the pricing gap.

•We will never be the cheapest on the market, and we don’t want to be.
Our output, warranty of components, warranty / install support, will always be higher and thus the extra value of our systems

Karl

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 07:30am 03 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FYI can do a 1KW system for those on the old rebate for $900 (with a 2.2KW inverter)
but the best deal with Sunconnect
is $3K for a 1.575KW system 2.2KW inverter under the old rebate for $3K. This is 9 x 175W all pos tolerance panels
(this means that they will be at least 175W and upto 185W.

Sydney / Melbourne price and obviously you sign over the rebate and the RECS to SUNCONNECT.

do your maths carefully, may be worth surrendering your deposit of ~$500-1000 with your original mob to get a better deal

Give me a call on 0401 627 446.

Karl

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 07 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The first question i would ask is what type of cells is used in the panels on offer.
This makes a big difference over time, as all cells have a reduction in output with age, but some much, much faster than others.

Second question is how are the cells interconnected "within" each panel?
This is important if the panels are subject to part shading due to mounting constraints. (ie: neigbours tree, other buildings or even cloud cover etc.)

Its the little things that matter.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:42am 08 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

we use only mono crystalline cells.
I believe they are hand soldered together and shade tolerance is basically nil, need poly cells or unisolar panels to deal with shade in any realistic manner but Uni's are 3 times the size so mounting them becomes dear.

Panels have isolating diodes but not the individual cells as far as I know, all comes down to cost I guess.

we are using ERA and SUNGRID panels and the tech guys who have been to all the factories reckon they are the best they have seen but in all my research I reckon the best were the Suntech panels but really only time will tell, hence go for the best warranty you can find, normally 25 years 80-85% output.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 07:30am 12 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am no longer affiliated with SUNCONNECT.

I am happy to provide independent green energy consultations.

I ask for a small 5% commission for my advise
outside the forum.

Given the experience and research gone into each and every one of my clients I think this is reasonable.

My intent an ethical consultation business where I can recommend the best possible solutions at the best prices in the market today, for those persons who are unable to spend the time doing the research themselves.

Regards Karl

chookie

Posted: 10:50am 12 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks for the offer
experience in the field would be a real advantage!
can i ask what state you are in?
and 5% of what?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024