Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:53 12 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : MTTP and Murphy

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 11:47am 12 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well near 6 years off the grid here and my AERL900B MTTP decided in this hot weather patch to giveup the ghost. For the last 4 days where I was expecting see when I got home from work around 350-400 AH's of power in I was seeing winter figures of less then 130 AH's. It turned out that extra 350 watts of PV I put on the roof last year was providing the power as the MTTP was off line and absorbing the heat as I did go and check, I have a nice burn on the end of my finger. Trying first thing this morning with the solarshop who installed the system was a waste of time as I was told they only do grid connect these days. I went and saw the Natural Technology Systems RE comapny as I did want a RE tech to come out and confirm my findings but no-one in Adelaide was available. Kim did give me a phone number to ring a semi retired RE tech and after a 20 minute phonecall I raced home to rip the MTTP off line before it caught fire.

I did contact my insurance agent Elders first thing this morning and they agreed if it was fusion then an insurance claim is valid. I took the MTTP down to their shop and a quick test did show the transformer was gone and the comment of me taking the system off line was a wise one.

The result is hopefully tomorrow I'll get a Outback FM60 to replace the MTTP and all for a $100. My big worry now is my my SA32 Selectronics inverter which is showing incorrect readings on both voltage and current.

Now Murphy wasn't finished with me, My $2,000 good deal 13hp 7Kva genset for my main backup power WHICH I needed would not start so that is on the ute and going back for warranty.

To top it off murphy called again with my old backkup genset where my son had broke the start cord and never said a word. 2 hours later I had it fixed and after all that I just had to go down the pub for a few ales.

But guess what the cops were crawling the place so 2 quick schooners and a 6 pack for home was all I got.

The heatwave hasn't ended but hopefully Murphy will pick on some other guy this weekend.

Cheers Bryan

GWatPE

Posted: 12:03pm 12 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan,

Is that an AERL Coolmax MPPT. These are just buck converters. There is no transformer, but a large inductor. I am not sure of the Business status of AERL now.

What is the fate of the broken unit?

sounds like more windmills are needed.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024