Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:54 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : A Non-tracking two axis system.

neil0mac

Posted: 10:31pm 16 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thinking about the trackers that 'follow the bright spot' to get maximum collection, wouldn't it be simpler to have somewhat greater collection power (more panels or added reflectors)than the inverter will handle and provide a way for the panels to be 'pushed off a (perpendicular) line to the suns rays?

That way the inverter is operating at a higher (or its highest) capacity for more of the sun hours?

Of course, this ploy could also be used on a 'single axis' system also.

Added: Now, what I really want are panels that can catch additional light off a relector without burning the guts out of them = smaller footprint, same power or same footprint, more power.Edited by neil0mac 2010-01-18

davef
Guru

Posted: 10:40pm 16 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thought the idea of tracking was to get quite significant boosts in conversion.

You have to compare that with the efficiency versus power output of the inverter system. I would expect the efficiency curve to stay reasonably flat, say down to 1/10th max output. If so, then tracking probably wins hands-down.

When panels become cheap c.f. inverters and tracking systems maybe having the extra solar panel capacity because more viable.

neil0mac

Posted: 10:45pm 16 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

True, but I am of the view that conventional trackers come up sort of what they could provide in 'low light' conditions'.

My post was exploring the possibility of achieving this added light when it occurs but not exceeding the normal maximum conditions.Edited by neil0mac 2010-01-18

davef
Guru

Posted: 09:37am 17 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Heliostat?

neil0mac

Posted: 08:31pm 17 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nope. Doesn't have any sort of 'limiter', correct?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024