Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:53 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : panel mounting hardware?

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:53am 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone got a reasonably priced solution for panel mounting?
Using the Jaycar gear i'm looking at $1300!!!
need 24m of mounting rail 16 "T" clips and 16 Z clips plus the mounts for the rails themselves If they dont mount directly to the tek (longer perhaps than as it is now) screws holding the roof on.

Mounting here is for 12 190W panels in two rows BTW

Regards KarlEdited by KarlJ 2010-04-23
Luck favours the well prepared

rgormley

Posted: 12:01pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://www.energymatters.com.au/solar-panels-mounting-system s-c-148_167.html

has prices as well

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Karl

I use light gauge 50x25 rhs gal, screw through to roof battens at the top of the corrugate with coach screw or long tech screws depending on if you have wood or metal battens mark and drill relief holes for roof screws in the bottom of the 50x25 rhs and then use long tech screws with washer cut from 25x3 alm flat to span the tops of panels, on the lower rail pop rivet small lugs to stop the first run of panels sliding down while you fix them in place. Paint the rails to match roof color and use self adhesive rubber tape where panels sit on the rails and under the retaining washers, it is a cheap and good looking job, you can also drill the rails to match the roofing screws and use them to hold the rail down screw size hole in the bottom and 19 mm in the top so you can get the socket driver to the screw.

Hope that makes sense

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

GOFJ

Posted: 04:19am 30 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I mounted 16 180W panels above a shed roof using M16 threaded rod through the roof trusses (3 metre spacing, nuts each side of top and bottom flange) and a pair of 150 C sections to bolt the panels on (12.6 metres long). This allowed me to angle the pannels independent of the roof slope. I had 3 tie bars (M16) near the bottom edge of the 150 C to stop it wobbling as I drilled it to suit the existing holes in the panels. To stop corrosion between the galv C section and aluminiun panel frame I used 2 layers of duct tape and bolted them on with M8 bolts, lock washers and flat washers. This gave enough space under the panels to bolt them up and also good ventalation to prevent a heat buildup with the confined space that most roof mounts seem to favor. I used a length of 100 timber to set the spacing and hold the drill square as I drilled the pilot hole through the roof truss and galv roof from inside and one of the cardboard boxes the panels came in (with holes punched in the correct positions for the mounting bolts) to mark out the positions in the top flange of the 150 C's.
I probably could have gotten away with 75 or 100 C's but I got 5 lengths for a good price. There is absolutly no movement in even the gustiest winds.
PS:- cost about $250 all up.Edited by GOFJ 2010-05-01
Jack

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 03:03pm 30 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

got it sorted from the guy i'm buying the panels from
wanted to use the Energy matters stuff but in the end the price for same guy as panels
won by enough of a margin even after Matt's generous discount,,,,sorry Matt.

will be about $500 all up for 4KW panels 20 of 1500x1000x39 mm panels
and "western power approved"
I know lots of it is bullsh*t but i need it to collect the rebate.

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:45am 01 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You need a lot of bulsh*t to grow good flowers

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:10am 02 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds like solar power and growing flowers have a lot in common....Loads of bullsh*t and sunlight.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024