Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:40 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Adding new solar panels to old

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 08:45am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been told old solar panels can limit the performance of new panels.
I am about to purchase some more solar panels to upgrade my old small off grid system. Currently I have one 80W polycrystaline panel which has been working for perhaps 15years. I am considering buying three new 80W monocrystaline panels. Can I just add them in parallel to the existing panel? Or, should I install them as a seperate bank charging a seperate bank of batteries?
I intend to replace batteries as well. I know new batteries should not be added to an old battery bank.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:05am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

Yes they will work fine connected in parallel. Its when you connect them in series that you will have problems. A string of solar panels connected in series will only ever supply as much current as the weakest panel.

Same with shadows on a panel, if you have one cell shaded, say from a big leaf, then the whole panel might as well be in the shade. Thats why its important to wash off bird poo.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 09:10am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good. That makes installation much easier. Thanks for the advice.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:14am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh make sure the open circuit voltages are in the ball park with each other.
if old panels are 24V and new panels 36V then no point putting the old panels in the mix as they will contribute nothing.

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024