Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:05 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Identifying batteries

Page 1 of 2    
Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 09:21am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have 2 lead acid batteries I would love to know more about, in particular the amphour rating.
Written on the batteries is:
N200
12V 31Plates 10000CCA
There appears to be no other writing on the batteries.
I understand that N200 refers to the size, which is approx 600mm long, as you may see from my foot in the image for scale.
Can anyone identify these for me please?Edited by Tim_the_bloke 2010-05-10

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 05:26am 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

These appear to be 200 amp hour batteries probably rated for 20 amps for 10 hours for max capacity, would be a start for a solar or wind system with suitable regulator so they don't overcharge. That depends on how good they are, you could get a desulphator from Jaycar and give them a run on that as it will bring them up to good condition if there is no internal faults, measure the standing voltage and that will give you an idea if serviceable should be between 11.5 and 12 volts.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 09:16am 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks. I was assuming they were 200 amp hour batteries. They are currently in service and store enough power to keep our holiday shack running for 2 days or 4 days if we are very careful with usage. They are perhaps 5 years old.
This capacity gives me an estimate of how much more capacity I need to improve performance to cover heavy usage over say the Easter long weekend.
Easter just past I put up my new (reworked) windmill. I hope to add some more solar panels and batteries soon too.
I have been investigating purchasing more batteries and been impressed with the variance in price of 200Ahr batteries.
Q: Is a desulphator worth bothering with?Edited by Tim_the_bloke 2010-05-11

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:35am 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

I feel that desulphating is very important for batteries as we use them as you have mentioned we tend to use them nearly to destruction as anything beyond a 50% discharge of these automotive batteries can cause long term loss of capacity, generally by creeping sulphating which can be difficult to reverse by normal charging unless you boil hell out of them and risk more damage, I personally believe it is a good idea to start before the problem gets out of hand.

I have a big bank of second hand batteries that where disposed of as beyond service life and have managed to bring them back to near 100% capacity.
With automotive batteries it is I feel more important than deep cycle as the lighter construction won't stand the abuse that stronger construction deep cycle will.

Many years ago I spent a lot of my time servicing 32 volt lighting plants and the biggest problem I found was sulphation and I spent a lot of time desulphating these batteries rather than replacing them, in most cases they went on for a number of years.

In the end it is up to you as you can replace on a regular basis generally 3 to five years, with a desulphator on a good set of batteries it can near double their service life.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 12:00pm 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You suggested a desulphator from Jaycar. I have a wholesale account with them (Electus their wholesale arm) and see they have an electrical product called "Battery Refresher" and a fluid called "Lead Acid Battery Conditioner".
By a "desulphator" do you mean an electrical device or do you mean a fluid to be poured into the battery?

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 03:28pm 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

he means an electrical device
Luck favours the well prepared

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Electus Cat page...202 ... Cat# MB-3660.

Its $20.00 cheaper through the wholesale arm compared to retail.

Dont know what the product is like though.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 09:42pm 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK. Should this gadget be just left on a bank of batteries, or only used occasionally?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:07am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

I leave mine on all the time as they are a low energy device and don't work quickly on big batteries, on my big bank of batteries I use one on each set of four.

I have one on my car as well, the battery died compleatly so for an experiment I put one on and trickled it for a week the battery regained most of it s capacity and lasted another 12 months until the cold got it this year. The battery was already 5 years old so well past its use by date already.

There is a better unit on ebay called an infinity marketed out of Asia I have used them with good success, The jaycar one isn't as reliable unless you get the kit version as they are more robust but more expensive.

The fluid is a shot in the arm for a dying battery but in my experience it can shorten the overall life of the battery especially if used a couple of times.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

rgormley

Posted: 12:51am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a 24 volt setup (2 x 12v)
can the 12v desulphator happily sit on one of the 12 batts say for 1 month then swap to the other 12v batt.

or will the high current discharge be useless as the pulse will be shared by the two batts?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:55am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rgormley

You can get a 24 volt desulphator and do both at once or go week about on one 12 volt battery, I sometimes place a 12 volt one on a battery in the bank to give it a bit extra kick and it helps equalize them up, if one battery is reading less than the other one in the pair by say .2 volts it is a bit sluggish.

The ideal thing would be one on each cell but that isnt to practical.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Bub73

Posted: 06:59pm 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have built and use 3 of the original Alastair Couper desulfators with good results.
They won't fix a shorted cell or any other internal problem other than sulfation; but they keep my plates clean and I have never had to use a equalizing charge also like Bob I have reclaimed many automotive battery's with them. They can be built for either 12 volt or 24 volt.

I'm trying to get the diagram laid out on vero board just now; but good layout software for linux seems lacking.

Bob

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 10:23am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, so people think desulphators are a good idea. I am about to buy this one:
Battery Refresher
Does anyone have an opinion on it?
Do these things send surges back into the system and potentially damage other electronic devices connected?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:55am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

I use one of these in my car but doubt it would be big enough capacity for your big batteries, do a ebay search for the Malaysian ones ones they are better.

www.infinitumstore.com there is a lot of info there.

When connected to the battery there isnt enough pulse energy to damage anything else, but dont run with voltage from power supply without low impedance load.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 11:05am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said  but dont run with voltage from power supply without low impedance load.

Thanks Bob, but I do not understand this. What do you mean?

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 11:10am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another question. Do all batteries benefit from desulphators? I mean how do I know if my batteries need one?

rgormley

Posted: 11:16am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

www.infinitumstore.com

Is there a Aussie seller of these? or the same type (after 24V)

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:44am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

Yes all batteries go better with desulphator and last longer as the need to overcharge to desulphate isn't there so less active material is shed off the plates.

New ones will last longer and old ones will increase capacity if not to far gone.

I have been testing these desulpators with the thought of becoming the Australian agent but haven't finished my test program yet, bur they do perform far better than the Jaycar ones you are looking at.

Low impedance load means to connect direct to the battery terminals as the battery will absorb the energy pulse due to its low resistance.

I have revived sla cells off a computer standby power unit that where dead, no volts at all. so they do work.

All the best

Bob

Foolin Around

rgormley

Posted: 11:48am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bob, do you know of any places in Aust that sell them? or do www.infinitumstore.com ship them to aust (fed ex?)

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rgormley

I get them posted over they give good service and it dosnt cost much more than Australian postage, time around 7 business days air mail fed ex is more expensive and only one day faster.

I was testing them with the Australian agency in mind but haven't finished the testing yet.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024