Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:35 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Identifying batteries

Page 2 of 2    
Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:53pm 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said   Hi Tim

Yes all batteries go better with desulphator and last longer as the need to overcharge to desulphate isn't there so less active material is shed off the plates.

Bob

Bob, I would have included the words "flooded lead acid" before the word 'batteries'.
Remember, there are electrical novices reading this forum
Klaus

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:22am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tinker

I have used them on flooded cell ,sealed lead acid and also gell cell and they work on all of them, an example is the 12 volt gell cell out of my UPS from the computer it was completely dead because I hadn't used it for two years )0 volts so as part of my testing program I hooked it up to the desulphator, after 1 week its working again, also tried on several other gell cells and it has brought them up to capacity as well but they where lazy caused by over cycling.

This is the reason for my extended test program to find out if it works on different batteries, so far what I have found that it helps in all cases, while it works quicker on wet batteries it works on the others to, it even revived the nicad batteries 18 volt for my battery drill, I know its not the best thing for everything but the object of the exercise was to see if it did any damage or blew anything up, No explosions so far.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 03:21pm 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Bob, I know what you meant to say but "battery" covers such a wide range of devices.
Would you use it on NiCad batteries for example?

I'll rephrase my comment above to "lead acid technology"
I'm just pedantic about generalizations
Klaus

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:52am 19 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Klaus

I have found it worked on everything I tried it on some of the batteries they say it does I don't have but the main thrust was lead acid and derivatives.

They say in the instructions.

Lead acid SLA, AGM, Gel, Maintainance free dry batteries, calcium - calcium, Calcium silver, lead antimony, and I found it works on nicad but not on Lipo.

Its a fair range but as you know our main batteries are lead acid at the moment until someone comes up with a better price on Lipo or some other future development.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:43pm 19 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

That's interesting info you have there, I would not have dared to try it on some of the batteries you mentioned. I'm a bit suspicious about the dry battery claim though, whatever they mean by the term "dry"

But then I only have a home built desulphator and it did not come with battery type instructions . Built that thing way back when plans for it first appeared on the internet and its still 'singing'. Unfortunately all the old lead acid batteries I seem to come across appear to suffer from a shortened cell, making them useless in a battery bank.
Klaus

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:01pm 19 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Klaus

I know what you mean about the dry battery I took it to mean nicad and NMH so I tried it on my battery drill battery that had lost capacity Ryobi 18 volt nicad and it brought it up quite a bit, I have had a few failures on shorted and open circuit batteries as well, but have found it works on a sound battery and brings them back up to capacity, works better on deep cycle batteries because of their better construction.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024