Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:15 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : batteries and lights?

readyakira

Posted: 04:28pm 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Few questions again..... anyone know a cheap place in the states to get 14v cfl lighting? oh, and as far as battery discharge goes.... how do you measure that and what is the math used? for example if I have a 12v battery with these specs:

Battery BCI # : 27DCM
Battery CA @ 32 Degrees F : 715
Battery CCA @ 0 Degrees F : 575
Battery Height : 9 3/8"
Battery Length : 12 1/2"
Battery Posts Type : Top Post/Stud
Battery Reserve Capacity : 200
Battery Voltage : 12 v
Battery Warranty in Months : 36
Battery Weight : 53 lbs
Battery Width : 6 3/4"
Wet or Dry : Wet

Then how do I know when it is discharge to the point I need to stop drawing from it? And cycle life. Say it has a 200 charge cycle life. how do you figure that if you are charging all day? I aquired another 45w in solar toys... bringing me to a measly 60w but I am looking to buy some real panels at about $2.25us per watt. They are 175w evergreen panels.
Don't you think Free/Renewable energy should be mandatory in new buildings?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 05:08am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi there

Your battery would be around a 60 ah rating from your description, service life depends how you look after it don't discharge below 11.5 volts also when you get your bigger panels you will need a regulator to stop overcharging it as that will destroy it also. If you look after it it should last 1000 + charge cycles if you don't it wont last out the summer, Do not run it flat as automotive batteries die very quickly if discharged below 50% capacity, fir a desulphator in your systen to keep it in the best condition possible.

The battery is approx 720 watt hours divided by 2 allowing 360 watt hours for lighting and led and cfl work at 5 to 10 watt hours so should keep you in lighting.

The cheapest source of lights is ebay china both cfl and led lights I have found them very reliable and quick delivery.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024