Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:15 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Making Panels

readyakira

Posted: 03:19pm 12 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Couple questions regarding making panels. How hard is it really to make a panel. I am pretty handy with everything I do. From Floor tile, to building car engines to repairing appliances and even fixed the power supply on my 47" LCD tv (capacitors went bad) I haven't tackled much I can't do with the proper tools.

So anyways, it looks as if I can build panels much much cheaper then buying pre-made ones. Does this also allow much more in the way of custom sizing? I definately want to progress in going green, and know that saving is the best way to build a system, but I don't do well at saving. Once I get a few dollars saved one project or another is going to get more funding. I have this green project going as well as an engine rebuild. I was figuring that I would build a panel. Maybe 200w and if I bought the supplies to get started I could put funding back into the engine project while I am constructing a fine piece of energy saving art. I am good with soldering, good with metal fabrication, and have elctrical, and very limited electronics experience. So, in short this looks like a fun project. One other question, what should I expect to pay/watt for building a panel, framing materials included?
Don't you think Free/Renewable energy should be mandatory in new buildings?

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 04:48pm 12 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

really good question and i'd say with panels available commercially at $1.60 AUD/Watt.
so in USD call it $1.50 or less that it wouldnt be worth the effort.

Building a solar panels that lasts one year apparently isnt that tough but to make them last a long time takes care, tempered glass, good resins to keep water out, a good framing system etc etc etc.

a 200 W panel should be available stateside for $300.....

Good luck, hope someone is able to be more constructive with their advice as opposed to my poor effort here...

Luck favours the well prepared

Doug

Posted: 12:38am 13 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ive also been looking at the possibility’s of building a solar panel, purely to keep the costs down. Heres a link to a page that shows one form of construction. Hope it helps. http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html
May The Power Be With You

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:30am 13 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ready

I started down the road of making my own and found that on a 90 watt 12 volt panel I saved $7 over the purchase price of professionally made panels, and on a test run I found that I could assemble 2 panels a day so it really wasn't worth it, I have a lot of parts left over and will make the panels but only to use up the parts I already purchased, not to save money, because it won't.

Shop around and you will find to purchase is the best unless you have nothing else to do. Build a good windmill and tower its easier and the returns are better.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

readyakira

Posted: 02:36am 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My biggest concern was the thought of how long they last :( It seems as most home-made ones only last about a year. Of course I think I can top that easily with the addition of a simple vacuum port to keep the panel under a vacuum, but still I guess you are right. It would be much simpler on the misses mind if I don't tackle another project while I have my van and lawn going at the same time as this one :P

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 09:43am 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ready

I can see no reason why a well made panel shouldnt last for a number of years, some of the ones I have seen that didnt last long was mainly by contamination of the panel by improper sealing, moisture ingress and bad soldering they need to be assembled with higher than medical standards of cleanliness never touch th cells with fingers use medical latex gloves, assemble in a air conditioned clean room with low RH less than 20%, use glass not plastic, low ion glass is better but ordinary clear glass 4mm is OK but looses about 5% but half the price of low ion.
I have used 4.5 mm cement sheet for backing, sealed with two coats of paint both sides fully seal with silicone around the outside and run a bead down between the rows of cells to increase the impact rating of the glass. Use 13 mm alloy channel around the outside for a bit of strength. as soon as you place the glass on the panel use a vacuum cleaner to vac down a bit, make a little one way flapper valve on the hole and as soon as you vac down, seal the flapper with silicone, believe me it is not a simple task as the cells are more fragile than anything I have worked with, I had to make a little vacuum lifter even to handle them. You would also need a couple of glass lifters as you don't want to drop it or let it contact the cells in a uncontrolled state.

Its not impossible to make good panels but it is damm hard.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

readyakira

Posted: 03:00pm 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ said   really good question and i'd say with panels available commercially at $1.60 AUD/Watt.
so in USD call it $1.50 or less that it wouldnt be worth the effort.

Building a solar panels that lasts one year apparently isnt that tough but to make them last a long time takes care, tempered glass, good resins to keep water out, a good framing system etc etc etc.

a 200 W panel should be available stateside for $300.....

Good luck, hope someone is able to be more constructive with their advice as opposed to my poor effort here...

I haven't seen anything close to this price/watt everything I have seen so far has been $2.40 and up per watt.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 15 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CEEG panels are $1.66 AUD/watt

even $2.40 /watt is OK, i'll be paying about $2.60/watt myself
but if you're like NeilOmac you'll be sourcing by the container

every once in a while they go on ebay at the 1.60 mark.

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024