Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:30 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Solar Regulator

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 10:34am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am about to purchase a solar regulator / controller along with some panels and hope someone can tell me it is the correct thing to buy.
This regulator to charge three or four 12V 200Ahr deep cycle lead acid batteries in parallel from three new 80W panels I intend to purchase at the same time.
I can get the items at wholesale price which is why this regulator.
Any opinions please people?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:06am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

This is quite a good one but for a few more dollars they have a MPPT unit that increases the efficiency of the solar panels, cant find my Jaycar catteldog at the moment for number, also Oatley have it to. They increase output of panels by 25-30%.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 11:28am 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Oatley one is rated for 15A. I thought 3 x 80W 12V panels would produce 20A, and if cooled could peak at higher current. I have searched Jaycar and Electus and not found a MPPT model.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:07pm 17 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi tim

80 watt panels peak as around 4.5 amps and 18 volts depending on the brand so three on a 20 amp reg should be OK Total amps loaded 13.5 four panels 18 amps.
cat no 3730 in jaycar cattledog $229 retail 300 watt 12 volt nom. That,s around 20 amps and your 3 panels are 240 watt so there is a bit excess capacity. You could run 4 panels on it as they generally have a bit excess capacity built in.
Cooling will help in the summer to get full capacity but not extra capacity check on the temp to output graph of the panel, they work best at 20 to 25 deg C by the time they get over 40 C. they are down below 75% power. Mine on a hot summer day only do 3.5 amps and 5.75 on a clod winter day for about 1 hour when the sun is optimal.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:55am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

Rang Jaycar this morning and they said it wasnt in stock yet expecting it soon but no availability date, if you are in a hurry I would suggest a ebay search as I have seen them on there now.

I will find out and let you know.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:04am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

From ebay

It may pay you to get a multi voltage one as you will probably go for 24 volts setup later on

All the best

Bob

Skip to main contentBack to Search Results |
Listed in category:

* Electronics >
* Solar >
* Regulators
30Amp 12V Solar Panel MPPT Power PV Charger Controller
Item condition: New
Quantity:
More than 10 available
Please enter a quantity of $quantity$ or less
Please enter a quantity of 1
Purchases are limited to $quantity$ per buyer
Please enter a quantity of $quantity$ or less
Please enter a lower number
Please enter quantity of 1 or more
Price: AU $218.50 Buy It NowBuy It NowBuy It Now

Postage: FREE postage RegisteredSee more services See discounts | See all details
Estimated delivery within 4-9 business days.
Payments:
PayPal | See details

Foolin Around

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 01:11am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I could not find it on their websites, so I too have just phoned them up (well, Electus) and they say MP3730 is a new product, not yet ordered from their supplier, may be over 9 weeks away. They will get back to me with an estimated date of availability.
I was going to buy the panels now as Electus have a special until the end of May (not Jaycar). It would be a shame to have the panels and not get them all running straight away.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:33am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

Get one from ebay I get nearly all my things from ebay and find their service is really good just make sure you test it as soon as you get it for warranty.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 07:12am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said  Get one from ebay I get nearly all my things from ebay and find their service is really good just make sure you test it as soon as you get it for warranty.
Bob

Well, my experience of ebay is mixed. Some stuff is great, some is not as I expected, each purchase seems to be from a vendor new to me so I don't trust ebay as such.
I cannot test as soon as I get it as my installation will be 400km and several weeks away - when I can get up to the farm again. Even then I would have to install everything and find out on my next trip if it worked well. So testing could take months. With Electus I have an ongoing business relationship.
The $218 one on ebay may be technically better for charging, but it does not display the voltages (which I continually test with multimeters when I am there) and I can get the Electus one cheaper (I get wholesale prices), so I will probably go with Electus/Jaycar. I don't think I should wait for MP3730 as my experience with Electus is that lots of interesting items appear in their catalogue which never become available, and I am under family expectations to have the existing system upgraded soon.

Solar stuff is like computer technology. Buy what you use/can afford now and accept that there will always be something new/better/cheaper released soon.

But, thanks for your discussion of all this. I really did not know about MPPT until this discussion.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:50am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tim

I understand your position as I have had a dud or two from ebay but they always resolve it because the Chinese hate a negative report.

You don't need to go to the farm to test you could use one panel and your car battery.

Anyway all the best with your project, there needs to be more doing it so tell your friends and all you can to promote renewable energy

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

dextercath96

Posted: 01:27pm 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tim_the_bloke said   I am about to purchase a solar regulator / controller along with some panels and hope someone can tell me it is the correct thing to buy.
This regulator to charge three or four 12V 200Ahr deep cycle lead acid batteries in parallel from three new 80W panels I intend to purchase at the same time.
I can get the items at wholesale price which is why this regulator.
Any opinions please people?

I think you can buy it. Because solar panels are effective. As well as Solar Power Generator, solar panels are the best alternative energy. I suggest you should try it.
Sunpowerport Solar Generator

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024