Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:34 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : How do you open an Energizer Dolphin torch?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:49am 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Unbelievably difficult to open.
So much so, that I have been unable to work out HOW you do it!

Here is a link to the unit:

LINK

.....but I am sure it is available elsewhere.

The comments on this link state the same problem.

Does anyone have one of these, and if so, what did you do to get the damn thing open?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Old Seagull Man

Posted: 11:33am 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The black lens assembly, unscrews from the yellow body. Anticlockwise if i remember.
Probably 25 years since i have changed a 6volt lantern battery.

I went rechargeable Mag light and haven't looked back.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:24pm 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

so the grogster is a cupboard blonde who would of guessed

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Two Solutions ? Neither mine - both off the net
1) Hold torch between your knees and twist as indicated, there is an 'O' ring there to make the torch water tight. When you get the front off I suggest you put Vaseline on the 'O' ring and it is easier to remove next time. I really think the manufacturer should give this advice.
2) The cover is difficult to open, but I sprayed WD40 around the lid, left it for around 5 minutes, wiped excess film off, and was then able to remove lid readily. I am a female, and was able to do this!

I would go for 1) & use a proper O ring lube as vaseline makes o rings swell in my experience. (I am guessing "indicated" is anti clockwise)
(if unsuccessful we could try to get 2)'s address to send it to her   )

If it breaks maybe its meant to be.......  Good Luck !
Edited 2020-09-24 23:37 by wiseguy
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:18pm 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, I will try that.

@ Bryan1: Actually, I am a backyard mechanic.  But this torch is plastic, and you never want to be TOO violent with a plastic thing, or you can break it.  Now I know it definitely rotates off, I will apply more force.

@ wiseguy: Vaseline is a good idea, I will use some.  If the "O" ring is dry, it will probably have adhered to the plastic somewhat, so yes - you would need quite a bit of force to break that the first time from factory.  Kinda weird that they don't grease the O ring at the factory, cos I note I was not the only one who could not open the damn thing!

EDIT: Actually, I have a pottle of "Rubber grease" in the garage, used for precisely that - lubricating rubber parts to prevent them sticking together in automotive repair work, so I will use a smear of that.
Edited 2020-09-25 09:21 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 26 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

geez, thought everyone would have seen those before. Been around since I was a kid.
But then again, you are a Kiwi mate so we understand.....   :0)

Years ago, I figured out that those 6V, 4AH SLA batteries fitted right in those things in place of the Exy non rechargeable lantern batteries that cost more often that the SLA's and seems to show signs of going flat 10 Min after you used them.

I simply soldered some wires to the contacts on the back of the lens/ bulb holder ( haven't played with the LED versions) and put a couple of spade terminals on the the other end to connect to the battery.  I did pack the battery with some cardboard  to stop it rattling round and later used hot glue. I could easy recharge the battery in situ as there is plenty of room.

I spose these days you could use lipo type Batteries, 18650s or whatever and just run a little buck converter in there to lower the voltage if need be.
Either way I'd suggest a modification like this makes for a far more useable torch and one that's a lot cheaper to run as well.

Dad had one of the "Big Jim" sealed beam torches which were the next one up in the Eveready line. They took a battery that was in fact 2 lantern batteries packaged together and about 4 Times the price. I did the same trick with that with a longer, skinny battery that fit the base of the thing better where the normal battery went. I think they were a 12V 6.2 ah Sla, can't remember the ah now as I only did his.  Just  connected wires to the original terminals on the torch which was easy as they were a screw on type and cable tied the battery to the torch itself.

He was Real pleased with that and the Sla was much cheaper than the big  OEM battery pack.

I have got him a few led torches including a rechargeable spotlight that throws a beam about 500M which he likes.  He did say the beam was a bit narrow and bright so I made him something with a bit more spread. I got a bunch of the "48w" sq driving lights off fleabay for free. They refunded me ( several times) when I complained the things were not as described and showed they were in fact only about 21W not 48. Still Ok light though and very bright and powerful.

I bent up a bit of 25mm steel flat into a cradle, mounted the  led light and a switch on one end and bent the rest round like a cradle and handle for a 7.2 Ah 12V Sla. The thing lights up the best part of the paddock or the acre of front lawn with a 180 o spread vertical and horizontal and has maybe 200M useful reach. I was going to put a smaller output POS " Driving" light I got that was listed as a whopping 180W ( as if!) that turned out to be much less than I expected at 6W for a less powerful and even longer lasting light but he likes it the way it is so all good.

Even now, the thing will last for hours with that battery and does not dim and he simply puts it on his little trickle charger to top the thing off again.  
Pretty funny taking it outside and literally turning night into day with the thing.

I love LED's.  

There are some really serious/ amazing DIY torches being built now using lipo packs and 100W LED's in multiples. Plenty of Vids on YT where they literally light up the side of a hill or into a valley.
Got to build me one of those one day!!  :0)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024