Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:29 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Any concrete experts here?

Page 2 of 2    
Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:54pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It might be best to just drive the whole thing directly in the middle with something really robust like an old car differential. The tail shaft could then project out of one side beneath your bearing..

If you can find a geared motor with a slow enough output rpm, the whole thing then becomes quite straightforward.

I would not fret too much about rpm, the VFD will take care of that.  What you need to think about is having enough torque and physical robustness. The overall gear reduction might be something like 1,000:1 so not a lot of Hp will be required, just a very strong worm drive reduction gearbox.
Cheers,  Tony.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:14pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How about a transaxle from a Vw (or something similar) locked in first gear.
That would give you a reasonably strong 12:1 to 15:1 right angle reduction gearbox at minimal cost.
Edited 2021-11-28 06:23 by Warpspeed
Cheers,  Tony.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 01:06am 04 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is a company in England that makes car and motorcycle turntables, It may be worth looking at their site to see how they do it.
I did hear of a rotary dairy many years ago that had a turntable floating on water in it, something to do with turning the cows around more easily.
https://www.carturntables.co.uk/driveway-car-turntables/
Good luck with it
Pete

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:30am 04 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is more for displaying a vehicle, but the construction of the revolving part is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3zysJvgGM
Cheers,  Tony.

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 10:15pm 07 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  This is more for displaying a vehicle, but the construction of the revolving part is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3zysJvgGM

That video shows how much you can get away with for a non-dynamic environment. Not much meat in it.

My design will have to deal with an approach/departure from any angle. I'm narrowing it down but I'm thinking of using heavy gauge square hollow section, bolted between two heavy discs in the centre. I'll update with a diagram soon. The timber for a top has got merit. I'll price up some merbau sleepers. Say 75mm thick.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:29pm 07 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  My design will have to deal with an approach/departure from any angle. I'm narrowing it down but I'm thinking of using heavy gauge square hollow section, bolted between two heavy discs in the centre

Hollow box certainly offers the best stiffness/weight but no way of protecting it from rust building up on the inside. Steel I beams are going to be more expensive and very heavy, but should last forever out fully exposed to the weather.
Bolting between discs is an excellent idea.
Cheers,  Tony.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024