Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:41 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Isolating multipul DC supplies from a single Inverter.

Old Seagull Man

Posted: 06:42am 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I remember reading something written by one of the very knowledgeable members, about charging telecom battery's in i think it was Phone towers.

And they were saying that the system had a number of 48v battery packs, with charging systems. and they all feed a common output. So the battery sets charged with out effecting each other. And i think they used 3 phase diode packs to isolate the load from the separate power sources.

I have a number of 48v Dc packs and what to do the same. Two have old Flexmax chargers, and One has a 150/70 victron. AS they are quite different in capacity, just forming one big pack is not practicable. the packs are. 750Ah 550Ah and 210Ah

Sorry to be so long winded.

mab1

Posted: 11:56am 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm not sure i understand what you are trying to achieve.

If the battery packs are the same voltage (and same chemistry - sometimes even different chemistries can be paralleled if min and max voltages are restricted) then running them directly in parallel (for charge and discharge) should not be an issue. So the 1st question is: why can you not charge them in parallel?

Whilst it can be done to connect multiple packs via diodes to a single load,  it would be a lossy way of using the power. For small loads at 48v that might not matter, but the size of your battery packs might suggest you might be thinking of connecting a larger load such as an inverter, in which case i would want 'ideal' diodes, and you would still lose some power, plus you would have to be careful about exceeding the ideal diode ratings. So i guess my 2nd question is what sort/size load(s) are you wanting to connect to the paralleled batteries?

Edit: just to say i was thinking you were going to connect an inverter when i was writibg the above, but didn't see a reference to an inverter in your post; just realised it was in the title
Edited 2022-09-27 05:01 by mab1

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024