Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:20 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Dutchman drives from Amsterdam to Sydney

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 10 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/wiebe-wakker-drives-electric-car-around-the-world/10990088

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 09:44am 11 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm surprised he was having issues crossing the Nullabor, there's been a few EV's do the big lap so far

From the map, theres very few places over 100km, none over 200km- as long as you know where they are for the Nullabor crossing

(plus if you got a 10a or 15a charger, every larger country town has a fairground/showground you can top up at, and most country pubs are quite happy to top up or even fully charge if you stay overnight), and heaps of motels now list themselves for EV's- mix of 25a and 40A 3 phase tho, so bring all your tails...

10a and 15a single phase, 25a and 40a 3 phase

Clickable EV charging map
Click on a charge point, it gives you whats available, cost, address etc etc

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 02:47pm 12 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One things about electric car sound good but it will put all motor mechanic out of work only licence auto electrican can do the repair but they cant get acess to car computors just like farm tractor,
Agriculture prevent the farmer to fix their own machine just like today unless they get someone from authorize motor dealer with plug-in computer programer and i dont belive running electric car is cheap as every time stop for charging at servo customer will spend more money buy like coffee ,takeaway junk food plus time waitng untill batteries are fully charge so if i buy electric car and will be towing a trailer with genarator running staying away from servo station

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 03:23pm 12 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An auto sparky wont be working on the HV stuff, and they wouldn't be doing the myriad of other mechanical things that a car will still need- tyres, brakes, suspension etc will all still need doing (quite frankly many modern cars don't need a trained mechanic either for 99% of the work- as many dealerships are notorious for... They may have one or two actual mechanics, all the rest are 'trained monkeys' for oil changes and things like that- 'use this metal thing to take this thing out and let all the oil out into this drum, put it back in and put exactly 4.2l of oil into it

I know for a fact that many dealerships have a list on the wall that they just look at and fill to that number on the oil pump and never even pull the dipstick once in the entire thing... (I know cause I worked in one...and for those that swear that diesel oil is different to petrol oil, or that Mazda motor oil is far superior to Toyota or Hyundai oil- guess what- in any multibrand dealer- its all the same oil- delivered in tanks to a massive oil tank at the back of the dealership- and they all get that exact same oil-regardless of brand...)

And you aren't the first to think of that putting a trailer on the back either, obviously for normal use you wouldn't, but I (and others) have thought it would be a good 'touring' idea- put a caravan with a diesel genpack built in- use it to top up the car while driving- and you got 240v to run your gear off while camping...(and its a genny big enough to actually run an aircon in the van!)- essentially turning your EV into a hybrid...

eta

exactly what we used...Edited by Boppa 2019-04-14

domwild
Guru

Posted: 09:29am 24 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seems like the diesel is cheaper for farmers, especially in the EU. So if you are desperate, you can tow a trailer with your EV and run the charger on cheaper diesel, as stationary engines are excise-wise able to use the cheaper diesel.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024