Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:07 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Ryobi portable power bank

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:55am 05 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a 2kVA generator for when the power goes off and it runs the house water pump and coffee machine easily enough but it seems a waste to leave it running polluting the atmosphere to run the TV or radio for extended power outages.

I also have a Ryobi ride on powered by a 48V 75Ah battery.

Tack on a Victron 800VA inverter and we have the Ryobi power bank,

I still have to mount the inverter on the rear rail. It will be just hooked on so it can be stored safely in the shed when the Ryobi is doing it's primary role.

In theory, it was a simple task to slide the battery bank out so I could attach the new leads.

The terminals were in the front so not easy to get to. I ended up removing the body work to do the modification. Much easier to see what I was doing.

The next time there is a 6 hour power outage, I drive the Ryobi onto the verandah and plug in.

It also has the advantage that I can run the big electric drill in the paddock instead of relying on the cordless drill to bore fence posts or use the auger attachment. The 800VA inverter runs the 750W drill easily.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:52am 05 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well thought out!

If you had some spare solar panels, you could a run them through a basic controller, ( not necessarily onboard) and if your outage was through the day, you could extend your run time.

I made some Ground mounts out of Pallets and some old solar racking but easy to use scrap timber as well. My last one had 2x 500W panels I had laying around so would provide useful power on a sunny day or you could do multiple of smaller panels.
I have a bunch of them that have old 360s on them and they do OK as well.

I have a little Kubota 3 Cyl Diesel mower I was thinking of fitting an alternator to or even a little 5 KW Gen head.  It's a spare mower so even if it had a 230V alt hanging off the front or side, wouldn't be a big deal.

It's great having backup with blackouts.
We had one friday night so I just hooked up one of my Traction packs and ran some leads and we had the TV's, fridges, computers and more lights than normal going just to show off to the neighbours..... which on the comments I have since got, wasn't Missed! :0)

Boiled the kettle and had a usual evening.

I still haven't disconnected everything! I got 8 panels on the Battery and even through it was overcast yesterday, there was still 26A going into it so going to take a while to run out especially as I connected it to the other pack as well.
Been working on the computers and Mrs has has been watching TV through the day and when she wasn't it was raining so stuff it!

I did have a backup setup with the 2 Little walkie fork packs.  Put a couple of branch connectors on 3.2 KW of panels going to my GTI I could connect to the little 8 KWH batteries and had a 2 KW inverter on them. had another 5 KW inverter I could put on if needed but for short term outages, the 2KW was plenty.

I put a 24V 120A alternator on a little Diesel engine so I could still run a couple of KW at night or if the weather was bad. Seem to get more outages in normal weather rather than storms but anyway.

It worked well the couple of times I used it but it's redundant with what I have now.
For battery backup I just keep a little 2 Kw inverter genny under the table on the back veranda but I don't think I'll have need of that any time soon... Hopefully.
I can still run the 24V genny into the 2 x 545 Hr packs anyway and get a reasonable amount of KWH over the course of a day. I'd like to get another 24V alt but they don't come up a lot used at a reasonable price.

Blackouts are definitely increasing here.  Had a couple as " power shedding" about this time last year and a few more with people and lightening hitting poles.
I am expecting as soon as the cold hits, there will be shortages again like last year.  

I want to get a changeover switch fitted in the very near future so don't have to play amateur hour and run leads everywhere and the ultimate goal is to be totally off grid capable.  I'll keep the power on for at least 12 Months so I have a safety net
but I aim to have over 100KWH reserve and I have 30+ Kw of panels plus several Diesel Generators I run on waste oil so I -think- I'll probably be OK.

Edited 2024-05-05 17:53 by Davo99

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024