Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:57 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : F & P Smart Drive Controller

Chrismar

Posted: 01:37am 28 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

I have a number of the F&P Smart Drives 60dc-1s-12p-star in copper that are in their standard factory configuration. I am looking for a motor controller for this 3 phase DC BLDC motor with Halls sensors. If I use the factory controller for these drives they run the pre programmed washing cycle, but I want to run these as a continuous rotating drive at about 1600RPM off DC. Any guidance as to where I can source a solution for purchase would be greatly appreciated. Please note I am a complete novice at this. I have looked at other motors but the F&P is ideal for my application.

Regards

Chrismar

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:05pm 30 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

See tis article.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2012/February/Converting+The+F%2526P+SmartDrive+for+Use+As+A+.+.+.+Motor

Unfortunately you have to buy the article to read the full story. In short, the author uses a controller worth around $100 from memory.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Chrismar

Posted: 11:33am 31 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo

Thanks for the info, I have managed to find a copy of the full article and will try one of the controllers mentioned. Will let you know how things go.

Chrismar

Synergetic

Posted: 09:46pm 05 Jul 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chrismar said   Hi Gizmo

Thanks for the info, I have managed to find a copy of the full article and will try one of the controllers mentioned. Will let you know how things go.

Chrismar

How did this workout ? :)

Sputins

Posted: 08:49pm 19 Sep 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chrismar said   Hi All

I have a number of the F&P Smart Drives 60dc-1s-12p-star in copper that are in their standard factory configuration. I am looking for a motor controller for this 3 phase DC BLDC motor with Halls sensors. If I use the factory controller for these drives they run the pre programmed washing cycle, but I want to run these as a continuous rotating drive at about 1600RPM off DC. Any guidance as to where I can source a solution for purchase would be greatly appreciated. Please note I am a complete novice at this. I have looked at other motors but the F&P is ideal for my application.

Regards

Chrismar

Yes you need a three phase brushless motor controller. The F&P motors can be re-wired to operate at a lower voltage, like 12- 24 volts as very well described here at the Back Shed.. Then you can use an Arduino (programmed) and an existing off the shelf brushless ESC of about 80 - 200amps, (used in model aircraft etc). And then you don’t need to use the hall sensors.
There are several YouTube clips showing how to do this.
Example of an ESC Like below…
90A ESC

Otherwise there are other brushless motor controllers used to control e-bikes. Here you might only need a throttle to suit and not need the Arduino? But now the hall sensors are used.
Ebike controller

I’m currently re-wiring a F & P motor and am going to try it myself. The F & P motor works as is with a Radio Control ESC running on 22.2 volts (with the receiver and transmitter to operate it). The F & P turns slowly in its standard configuration, but it works. The torque is very good too.

I have some applications for an EV in the form of a 7 ¼ gauge locomotive.

nzfarmer

Posted: 01:14am 14 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any updates on this? Is there a preferred controller with hall sensor input for these motors?

thanks!

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 01:54am 14 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would also like to hear any updates these Motors seem like they would have a incredible amount of torque

Just by looking at it it looks like it would have a great amount of Leverage

I have a few of these motors and if anybody would like to have one of them

they would just need to pay shipping and post their project on here
Edited by BenandAmber 2019-06-15
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024