Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:15 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : H743Zi2 Board

Page 1 of 4    
KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 12:14am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I thought I'd start a thread for the new V2 board.

Apart from a different user USB socket, the first problem I've encountered is getting the user USB port working.

There is no green LED or any led lit for the port.

There is therefore no supply rail at the port.

I've gone through the links and think I've got them correct, here is what I've set up.

SB52 OFF Vbat from external backup source.

Ethernet PHY FREES UP

SB29 OFF PC5
SB30 OFF PG13
SB27 OFF PG11

SB36 OFF PC4
SB72 OFF PA2
SB64 OFF PC1
SB57 OFF PA1

JP6 OFF PB13
SB32 OFF PA7

SB76 OFF PG7

SB24 OFF USB ID PA10
SB23 OFF USB vBus not connected to PA9

The Board itself is running fine apart from the User USB problem. I can't find a circuit for the new board so I can't test/verify control voltages to the power control switch for the user USB port.

Mike.
Edited by KeepIS 2019-06-28
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 12:43am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just had a look at the circuit of the V1 board:

I have 3v3 on PG6 (USB PWR)
I have 3v3 on the LED's

Going by the V1 circuit:

A: I don't have USB VBUS from the USB switch (U12 in the V1) (U8 in the V2)

B: There is 5v into switch U8.

Without a V2 circuit I don't really know what drives the Enable line to switch U8.

I'm sure this is just a link issue as I have TWO V2 boards and both are the same.

EDIT : Also removed: SB77 OFF = PD10 available IOEdited by KeepIS 2019-06-28
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 02:08am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is not looking good:

I compared the two boards and checked the voltages on the USB +5v switch.

Both boards use the same parts:

Both SS switches have exactly the same voltages applied to the inputs.

Pin:

1: USB V-out 0v on V2 (+4.8 on V1)
2: GND
3: Fault 3.27v Active low.
4: Enable 3.27v
5: 5v in 4.8v

Output is connected correctly to USB socket, no shorts.

Again Both V2 boards are the same.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 02:32am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After proving everything was correct, I placed a 470 ohm from +5V to pin 1 of the USB PWR control switch U8.

Green LED for USB V turned on.

Plugged in the Keyboard and replaced 470 ohm with 4.7 ohm to power the keyboard.

Pressed the Reset button and **** the Keyboard worked.

Looks like both the SS switches (U18) are Faulty???? Fortunately easy replacement.

On a new Board with unmodified links I think the user USB LED should light when you connect/power the Board via the STLINK USB port?

Could others with this board see if LED LD8 (next to the E-Net SKT) lights straight out of the box.

Thanks.

It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:25am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got back and had a look at this in more detail, I've discovered something good and bad.

Turns out that the USB switch is not faulty - good but!

The Enable to the switch on the V1 board is taken HI to enable +5v USB out.

Then Enable on both V2 boards is not fully HI (floating around 1.7v) which could indicate an incorrect link setting? - BUT - it has to be taken LO to enable +5v USB, that is the opposite to the V1 board?

Without a circuit I can't go any further. I've still got it working but the timing of USB powerup (Enable line) is important to USB initialisation, sometimes it does not initialise but for the most it's ok.

Until I get a circuit and someone else tries a V2 with Keyboard I'm going to leave it at that.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:15am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If I've found the correct schematic, USB power is switched using PD10 on the ZI2. This is pin 79 and is currently a normal I/O pin. Please could you try setting 79 as an output and then trying PIN(79)=0, pin(79)=1 to see which enables the USB power. SB77 should be ON

UPDATE 08:30 GMT

This version waggles PD10 as well as PG6 so should work on either board with the downside of losing an extra pin

2019-06-27_182906_Armmite1.3bin.zip
2019-06-27_182934_Armmite1.3hex.zip

Nucleo ZI2 schematic
Nucleo ZI2 datasheet
Edited by matherp 2019-06-28

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 08:47am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Really hated loosing an inside row pin.

It looks like you are toggling it LO -> HI, but it needs to be HI -> LO as the USB e-switch is opposite to the V1 boards, it needs to be LO to enable +5v USB, at least that's how it is on both my boards.

It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 08:50am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes I just looked at the circuit and the Enable line is Active LO - opposite to the V1 board.

Edit: I'm not going crazy Edited by KeepIS 2019-06-28
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:06am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just looking at the pinouts and I can not find any mention of an Audio DAC or pin assignments, looks like they dropped it? or do I need to take a rest and look again.

BTW Thanks for finding the circuit.
Edited by KeepIS 2019-06-28
It's all too hard.
Mike.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:51am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Out for the rest of the day. Will swap PD10 sense and post later. DAC outputs should be on pa4,pa5 as normal.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:59am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I obviously need a long sleep.

I realise now that neither user manual makes mention of a DAC or audio. Look forward to trying the new BIN file tomorrow and put this dam keyboard problem to rest.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a quick hack. Will make it parameterised tomorrow UK time

2019-06-28_050813_Armmite1.3bin.zip

2019-06-28_050825_Armmite1.3hex.zip

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That works perfectly at 400Mhz on the V2 board.

If I set CPU to 480Mhz - the correct speed for the V2 board - it works on a reset but not on power up, obviously comes back to timing and I assume your parameter list will include something like that? or can you simply take the option CPU speed parameter and set it from that?

I assume that "both" PD10 and PG6 will now be unavailable (mm.info$ = Invalid) as IO pins?

Thanks again for the support and help with these ARM MM.BASIC ports.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 08:50am 28 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I made a test program to pulse the pins I use for my bigger project. Each push of the PCB mounted Blue user button, moves the pulse along the connector pins, a DSO probe sits nicely in the solder pin holes and a PULSE waveform quickly confirms the pin is working as a general IO. So far I've found the two PINS listed below that didn't work, they gave no errors during initialisation and they are disconnected by default.

So far I've only checked the 31 IO pins that I use in the project.

If you use the ST morpho connector CN14:

Pin 1 -> PC9 bridge SB15
Pin 2 -> PC8 bridge SB14

Pins come not connnected to help with SDMMC card data line interferance.

The Pinout labels on the board also have errors, PG3 and PG2 are both marked as No connection (NC), however they both work.

Until my connectors turn up I can't test the LCD or SD connection, has anyone tested an LCD and SD card on the newer board?

I'm trying to make sure all the pins I use are consistent between both board versions before finalising the interface board.

BTW the Website has been down for me all day.Edited by KeepIS 2019-06-29
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 05:00am 03 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a little progress, I finally got my stackable headers and fitted them a few minutes ago.

The ZI board was swapped out of the controller for the ZI2 board. The screen works and calibrates and the main software fired up and ran.

One big problem, the ZI2 board will not initialise when power is applied. It will start on a reset though.

A: It will start if the USB port is connected to the PC - I have a feeling that causes a reset when EXT 5v power is applied.

B :It will not start at power up via EXT 5V (USB not connected - see A)

C: It will start if reset is pushed after Power up.

D: Yes, the green power LED on the board is ON when EXT 5V is connected indicating the processor part of the board is powered.

Finally, there happens to be a buffered Yellow user led connected to PE1, PE1 is LCD DB1, that LED flashes when video is running, it's not ON after just a power up, but it's flashing after a reset (obviously), again indicating there is something funny with the power startup and reset?

BTW the interface board plugs into the H7 boards, it plugs in one way only, I can't connect anything up in correctly.

More work for me tomorrow

It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 05:52am 03 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FYI at power up I get the Copyright messages but no prompt.

Reset brings up the same but with a prompt. Has nothing to do with the USBKeyboard setting as I didn't initialise it after reloading the BIN file.

Removed my interface board and it's exactly the same.

EDIT: I'm using a Backpack board but it's unpopulated except for the LCD adaptor socket and H7 connectors, it's used as a carrier for the H7 and interface for the H7 to a 9" LCD via a small LCD adaptor board.Edited by KeepIS 2019-07-04
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:56am 03 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Reset line goes high instantly at power on and stays there.

Put a 22uf from the Reset line to GND and it powers up every time?

The question mark is not why - I know why the 22uf works as I expected it to once I looked at Reset line with a DSO.

The question is - Why is reset not working normally, OR, is reset working as it should and there is another underlying problem at power up that requires a reset to overcome it. I'm tired of chasing my tail.

It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 08:36am 03 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got back to the workshop and looked at the reset line on the V1 ZI board:

At power up there is a tiny pulse and then the Reset line is held LOW for a delay of over a second before the Reset line is taken HIGH, in other words, it's in reset for a second or more after power up.

The ZI2 board goes instantly HIGH at power on = NO reset!

And yes, having the USB port connected causes a Reset at power UP, so it works under that condition, as does giving it a manual reset. The 22uf CAP from reset to ground holds the reset line low at initial power up and as the CAP charges the line goes high, and of course the Board starts up fine. Now to find out why this is different, I've rechecked my links and they all look ok but I'll go over it again
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:06am 03 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now that I know what I'm chasing, I tested the 2nd ZI2 bare board (no connectors soldered on yet) and it's exactly the same, no reset at power on.

Fortunately my breakout board has every inside pin connected, I placed a link on the board to select or deselect a 22uf cap running from reset to GND, reset delay is around a second with the link connected. This will do for now until the correct answer is found.

To recap, two new ZI2 boards do exactly the same thing -> NO reset - the old ZI has a reset delay.

Because I've been testing without a Screen up until today I always had it powered from the USB port during testing, the boards work correctly when the USB in connected as some part of the ST-LINK controller does a reset when EXT 5V is connected, OR, if the USB connector is plugged into the PC after EXT 5V has been connected. Edited by KeepIS 2019-07-04
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 05:51am 04 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I went over the published circuits of the ZI and ZI2 boards to compare the reset circuits and it appears that (as they are currently setup up) the reset is derived from the ST-LINK controller in both V1 and V2 boards. The circuits appear almost identical and I'm no closer to understanding why the ZI2 board doesn't have a Power UP reset, I can only put it down to a change in the ST-Link function.

FYI I've been using the V2 (ZI2) board all day running at 480MHz, powering it on and off dozens of times and it's been faultless with the crude reset cap added, even the USB keyboard initialises every time now. So I've added a 22uf cap and plug-in link to the controller interface board in another unit I've built for someone else. If it ever fails and needs a new board then the ZI2 board will just plug straight in with only the reset link position needing to be changed. I now have a couple of spare ZI2 boards for the future.
Edited by KeepIS 2019-07-05
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024