Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:17 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Armmite H7: 5.05.11: 4096 byte battery backed RAM

Page 2 of 2    
JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:18pm 29 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  I've found the STM32H743ZIT6U

Won't you need a new version of MMBasic?

It's back to the simple equation:

new hardware = new software needed

Whereas if you stick to hardware that's already supported you're OK immediately.

John

lew247

Guru

Posted: 07:34am 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  

Whereas if you stick to hardware that's already supported you're OK immediately.

John

It seems to be identical the the existing H7 STM32 which already has Armmite with json, it just adds the capability to do vga as well as other displays but Armmite H7 doesn't have those commands or the larger display resolutions or the internet commands.
so not new software, just updated
but Peter's already said it won't happen so it's irrelevant.
Edited 2021-01-30 17:35 by lew247

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:11am 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  
  JohnS said  

John

It seems to be identical the the existing H7 STM32 which already has Armmite with json, it just adds the capability to do vga ...

That last part is important. It's NOT identical.

MMBasic could be ported to it but do not expect it to work without that effort.

Much easier would be to choose a CPU with existing support.

John

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:44am 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@lew247

Probably of no interest but I'm just gonna throw it out there.

My GUI for any MM thus far is an Android tablet. Not even the CMM2 can come close to the performance.

RFO BASIC is a free, open source interpreter and very powerful. Just link via Bluetooth or WiFi. You then have tons of memory, touch screen, hi-res, sound, Internet access, etc.
I have been shipping my CNC controls with a tablet GUI for nine years now and we're talking rough factory floor stuff. Zero reported failures thus far and should a unit fail...grab another, download the app and away they go.

lew247

Guru

Posted: 11:10am 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
My GUI for any MM thus far is an Android tablet. Not even the CMM2 can come close to the performance.

True but we go back to the same issue as the Pi, the operating system gets updated so often it's impossible to keep MM basic working on all versions of the OS
and they don't have the number of inputs most people would want
edit: you mean use the tablet just as a display and convert the mmbasic code to run on it? as in an APK or web page?
Edited 2021-01-30 21:13 by lew247

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:34am 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  
  Tinine said  

True but we go back to the same issue as the Pi, the operating system gets updated so often it's impossible to keep MM basic working on all versions of the OS
and they don't have the number of inputs most people would want
edit: you mean use the tablet just as a display and convert the mmbasic code to run on it? as in an APK or web page?

Yes, user interface only. I went this route because my life is basically factory automation. I have systems in the "Big Three" (Ford, GM, Chrysler), Boeing, John Deere, Jaguar Land-Rover, etc., etc.
Whenever I come across a piece of equipment that is down and holding up an entire production line, most of the time it's because the user interface is dead.
These are 24/7 operations and downtime is not an option.

So why even have a proprietary interface when pretty much everyone is carrying the most powerful user interface ever created in their pocket?

I use industrial grade tablets but as long as it runs Android, it can be any device.

OS updates have never been an issue and there is always the option to flash the device with plain vanilla Android.

RFO BASIC caters for browser type screens or you can code your own (my preference).

One can run directly from the interpreter or create an APK. The APK is actually a renamed zip file that packages the interpreter, your code and any support files (bitmaps, etc.) and directory structure.

Regards,

Craig

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:11pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  My GUI for any MM thus far is an Android tablet. Not even the CMM2 can come close to the performance.

I love this idea, and have been happy to note every instance when you've referred to it, but among other things, Lew wants to be able to output his screen to his 75" TV.

So would this work on an Android TV box?

~
Edited 2021-01-30 23:12 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:59pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  

So would this work on an Android TV box?

~

Oh yeah, anything that runs Android apps I guess.

I think it was Aliexpress where I saw 25" all-in-one Android systems. Rugged and reasonably priced.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024