Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:06 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour laser printer toner madness....

Page 2 of 2    
Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:25am 04 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ceptimus said  A guy I used to work with used to bore everyone rigid at every opportunity explaining how he saved money by refilling his printer cartridges.  He drilled holes in cartridges that were not designed to be refilled, squirted in ink using a syringe and then sealed the holes with tiny bungs or tape.

Exactly what I do. It can be very messy but a reasonable person would realise that and take suitable precautions.

Canon carts, even the non OEM's I have used have a little plastic ball pressed in under the label at the top of the cart where they are refilled at the factory.
I use a little awl to screw into that ball and pull it out. You have to have the  orange clip on the bottom of the cart that comes with them to stop the ink running straight out the bottom.  I refil with a syringe being careful not to try and put every  last bit of ink in and then either replace the little plastic ball or for some time now I use little 3mm Silicone plugs with a tab on them the ink suppliers sell.

I unclip the bottom cover and if I only get one or no drips, the cart is good and I re cap it to put with the other reloaded carts and do the next one.  

Would seem common sense to me and WTF anyone would think to do this in their lounge room I can't begin to imagine the questionable thought process behind that, but I have/ Make an area I cover in newspaper and have a roll of paper towel nearby and do it there.

Unlike my normal practices, I am Very slow, careful and methodical in how I do it. I am careful to refil a Syringe and either cap the bottle I am taking the ink from or move it well away. I do one cart at a time, all those colours at once then move onto the next Colours.

Yes, I often get ink on my hands and No, I would never wear gloves doing this but that's about as bad as it gets. Never had a disaster with it yet because I have always been very careful not to . I have saved literally tens of thousands of dollars  with this and it's been very worth while for me.
I wouldn't refill the petrol in my mower in the lounge room or change the oil in my bike either  even though the bike lived in the lounge room for many years but it was always clean and polished. Can't begin to think anyone would have ink anywhere near a carpet or sofa instead of on the kitchen or back table. I have a small plastic table in my office I use which is all setup for the job and has a plastic carpet protector underneath the same as I have my chair on.

Worst I ever did was put the wrong colour ink in the wrong cart.
The funny thing was the prints looked really good and it was only when I put another cart in after the misloaded one ran out I noticed. I reloaded the cart in the right colour,  Ran it though on some price lists and brochures, refilled again and the colour was fine.

busa

Posted: 02:36am 04 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey @Grogster,
I have a black and white laser printer and this is how I found to reset the toner count.

MFC-L2700DW
Turn printer on
Open cover
Hold ok key until display reads "Replace Drum 1-Yes 2-No"
Press star 0,0 (that's zero)in quick succession
Display reads "Accepted"
Close cover and Toner count has been reset

By doing this I was able to use the toner twice more before the print faded.
This probably won't work for your colour printer but worth doing a google search for "Reset toner count on Brother(Model no.)". Some smart person has probably found a way to do it
Good luck
Busa

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 09:37pm 06 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had to jump for a new MF inkjet last month when my old MX895 died.

A TR-8560 arrived, & yes as expected it came with the "Setup" cartridges.

But now there's 3 genuine options available for this model.
CLI681, CLI681XL & the whopping CLI681XXL, with a whole 11ml of ink.

Reminds me of the days of the old HP Deskjet 500's & their 40ml carts.
Think the 550C came alone next & sported 44ml.

Different logic back then in how to place a new model.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:42am 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Lads,

I had a big smile when I saw this thread.

I learned the hard way about colour Laser printers. I had a Minolta 2300W and the toner was MUCH more than the price of the printer plus toner but I couldnt keep a shed full of good Minolta printers just to get cheap ink so I researched and bought myself a DELL 1250c Colour laser as the toner is Dirt cheap and seems to last a while.

A full set of compatible carts (4 colours) costs under $50 AU inc delivery on eBay.

I can recommend this printer for small print runs..

Quality is brilliant.

Kind Regards

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

GoodToGo!

Posted: 09:55pm 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Concur Mick,

I've got a Fuji-xerox CM205FW MFC.
Great machine, would buy another if/when this one poops itself.
I used original cartridges until the warranty went the way of the dodo and then swapped over to inkstation.com.au ones.
Full set of 4 toner cartridges less than $100 while the originals are $100 each.
With a couple of teenagers working their way through high school, it cops a flogging.

Interestingly, the cartridges for this thing have a small pcb with an unmarked IC that monitors number of prints. Once a certain amount of prints have been made, the cartridge no longer works. Must be some way to reprogram it.....

Cheers!
GTG!
...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GoodToGo! said  Once a certain amount of prints have been made, the cartridge no longer works. Must be some way to reprogram it.....
Cheers!

GTG!

Or, stop it counting....
ChopperP

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024