Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:37 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : FontTweak

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:11am 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been playing with FontTweak

You can now import TTF files as well as use any installed font.
The sample above uses EngraverMT, a font that came with Windows.
It is 48 pixels high and makes use of my kerning subroutine.

TTF fonts work well for large text 32 pixels high or greater but small fonts will need a lot of tweaking.
Raster fonts are much better for the little ones.

To make life easier, you can now have two copies of FontTweak open and copy between the two.

Extract the contents of the ZIP into a convenient folder.

I still need to track down fonts that make use of some of the more interesting Unicode characters. The Google set looks promising.

If you want really good fonts, use Mauro's method of making bitmaps in full colour and blitting the characters.

FontTweak.zip

Jim
Edited 2020-07-08 18:13 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:15am 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds wonderful.  Where can we get it?

EDIT:  Sorry missed the download (did you just edit it in?)

Geoff
Edited 2020-07-08 18:17 by Geoffg
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:45am 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

YAY! New version of FontTweak!

boo! another AV that gets the tom-tits about FontTweak. This happens a lot for this prog I hear. Weird coz it's a fairly straightforward application - perhaps a library call or something gets their diddy-donuts twitching. When (If) they come back, I shall harangue them for you and find out precisely what qualified it as dodgy then feedback (as an aside, I do not think for one moment it is dodgy).

Edited 2020-07-08 19:47 by CaptainBoing

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:05am 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry about the virus warning but there's not much I can do about it.

One problem I have since discovered.
If you try and use a font directly from the file instead of installing it, it will only work if the file name is exactly the same as the font name.

I will have to work out how to reliably extract the font name from the TTF file.

I knew something was going to bite me when I started chasing TTF font files.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:09am 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

no apology necessary Jim, I know it's not you.

I tried running it directly from the Zip (i.e. using the previous install's libs etc) and copied to another place on my PC but same.

I was chatting to a colleague about why this particular program and he pointed out that avast may not be very forth-coming on *why* for two reasons:

1. it is a lot easier (read cheaper) to simply "rubber-stamp" the prog as OK
2. they might not want to reveal a potential work-around for nefarious little scroats that have an interest in getting genuinely crappy software under the radar.

Another AV prog for the list  

watch this space

Update 20:04

what we already knew:

Edited 2020-07-09 05:07 by CaptainBoing

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An update to fix the problems loading TTF font files.
Your Antivirus will probably throw a fit again.

FontTweak.zip

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,
Mostly out of curiosity - is it possible to load the seven CMM2 standard fonts into FontTweak?
(I understand that to use any modifications they will have to be loaded and called up as a new font number)

Cheers,

Andrew

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:19am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  Hi Jim,
Mostly out of curiosity - is it possible to load the seven CMM2 standard fonts into FontTweak?
(I understand that to use any modifications they will have to be loaded and called up as a new font number)

Cheers,

Andrew

Yes.
I don't have all of them available at the moment but I intend to have them so you can play "eventually"

I expect that those among us who prefer a language other than English will benefit.

All of the fonts could get reloaded as the same font number except 1, 6 and 7.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 02:41am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim,
I'll be happy when my curiosity is satisfied "eventually".

Cheers,

Andrew

BrianP

Posted: 07:04am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  YAY! New version of FontTweak!

boo! another AV that gets the tom-tits about FontTweak. This happens a lot for this prog I hear. Weird coz it's a fairly straightforward application - perhaps a library call or something gets their diddy-donuts twitching. When (If) they come back, I shall harangue them for you and find out precisely what qualified it as dodgy then feedback (as an aside, I do not think for one moment it is dodgy).

Hi Cap'n

Sorry to tell, but in more than one AV forum AVAST cops a lot of bad serves.

Just sayin'...

B

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:21am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Brian, cheers for the heads-up.

*** Off topic warning ***

I have seen others posting AV upsets and I don't think it was Avast (happy yo be wrong) and I've seen some of the moans you point out. It is difficult to settle on an AV that everyone loves.

Avast seems to score OK on the detection and the odd false +ve I can live with (atch, FT is the first I remember) https://www.av-comparatives.org/consumer/test-results/

A direct comparison between Avast and Bitdefender (widely accepted to be about the best overall) says there isn't much between them but Bitdefender offers more levels of protection (which is probably internet proxies etc  ; not playing) and is better on system resources https://www.proficientblogging.com/bitdefender-vs-avast/#:~:text=Bitdefender%20offers%20more%20security%2Drelated,of%20impact%20on%20system%20performance.

This handy chart comparison is going to help my next choice I think. It is clear I could do better that Avast. https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

Years ago my fave was Clam but I dropped it because it was just too nerdy, no auto-scan-on-open was a real risk and then you had all sorts of add-ons to get that and other functionality. AVG is just too naggy and trys to trick you into the latest upgrade for "only $19.95" a month - I don't pay that for my mobe! Norton gets its tendrils into everything and is a bit spyie, McAfee - don't like their rentware model. etc...

so difficult to know which way to go. Windows Defender was actually quite good but no longer supported as a stand-alone.

If you have a recommendation I would gladly like to hear the recommendation

Seems the safest way is to switch the thing off  
Edited 2020-07-09 20:06 by CaptainBoing

BrianP

Posted: 06:01pm 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check out the ESET product. I've been using it for over 20 years & sell it to all my clients. It's only in your face if there's something you REALLY need to know & (touch wood) none of the users I know have ever had any bad stuff. I've had more than one client that had been using AVAST (& others) discovered to have several nasties found by ESET.

Go for the standard Internet Security product (not Premium) - only costs AU$60 for the first year, renewals are cheaper.

Does all the things you need - bad sites, downloads, email, phishing, ransomware, hardly any false positives. I swear by it. It doesn't hog the PC resources like most others - your computer will be faster.

Mind you, nothing is 100% perfect (except us)...

You did ask...  

Cheers

Brian

P.S. Make sure AVAST is COMPLETELY removed first! - it won't want to let go easily (one of the complaints about it). AV products will fight each other.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:24am 12 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  Thanks Jim,
I'll be happy when my curiosity is satisfied "eventually".

Cheers,

Andrew

This is the 7 installed fonts.
Font 6 is not complete because some of the characters are derived from other fonts to save memory. The font only contains character that are adjacent in the ASCII table.

installed_fonts.zip

I have tweaked FontTweak a little but nothing to get excited about. Now remembers the TTF importer window location.

VirusTotal gives it a 70/72 clean score but as usual, your mileage may vary.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 07:33am 12 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim,
I'll play fonts first thing tomorrow.

Andrew
(Roast about to be served)
Edited 2020-07-12 17:33 by Andrew_G

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:32am 13 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

Quote  All of the fonts could get reloaded as the same font number except 1, 6 and 7

How does one "reload" the standard fonts after they are edited?

Cheers,

Andrew
(The one I wanted to edit was font #7, to change the ~ to 0C (where 0 is a degree symbol - I'll just load it as say font #8)

{Edit: Pressed the go button too soon}
Edited 2020-07-13 11:36 by Andrew_G

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:20am 13 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It depends on how you are going to use the font.

Most versions of MMBasic allow you to define the font in your program.
In that case, save your modified font as 'anyname.bas' and copy and paste the innards into your program.
You may also need to edit the definefont line to something other than #8 if you want more than one included font in a program.

If you wish to use it as a loadable font in the CMM2, save it as 'anyname.fnt'

The only difference is the extension and '.fnt' files don't have any comments.
.fnt files must be #8

You can only load one font per program but you can have others defined in the program.

With the CMM2, you can make the font files INC files so any of your programs can use the font simply by #INCLUDE "anyname.inc"
That also saves wading through the font definition every time you upload or list the program.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 02:32am 13 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim,
I reckon I can get one of those options to work (this CMM2 is Sooo good).
I've been playing with your FontTweak. It too is magic!

Cheers,

Andrew

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024