Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:03 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 No keyboard function on different keyboards that support PS/2

Page 1 of 4    
Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 04:14pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,

none of my Keyboards work with my CMM2. Could it be possible that the firmware does not work with keyboards that support both, PS/2 AND USB? All my keyboards have USB-Connectors but support PS/2, too.

Is it possible to make the firmare to support both? If not, I have to buy some of these modern cheap USB-Toy-Keyboards.

I tried the models: Cherry MX1800 USB as well as the Model: G84-4100 USB
no function at all, just the initialisation LEDs of the keyboards light up.

Edit: Tried it with a pure USB-Keyboard, no function either. I didn't soldered the SD-Card socket yet, because it will arrive next week or so. May this be the reason for that?

I checked (meassured) all the connections right to the Waveshare-Board, everything is fine, no shorts etc. I noticed that the PWR-led on the Waveshare-Board slightly(!) reacts to the keypresses on the keyboard (it dims a little bit). So somewhing is recocgnized, but nothing appears on the screen...

By using the Serial connection via my laptop, the keypresses are appering on the screen.

Greetings!
Daniel
Edited 2020-07-09 05:34 by Amnesie

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:48pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your keyboards should work.  

Do you have the correct USB socket mounted on the motherboard?  There are two variants that look identical but have their PCB pins reversed.  The correct type is manufactured by Amphenol FCI with their part number 73725-0110BLF.

Have you removed all the jumpers on the Waveshare board (particularly the OTG JMP)?

Otherwise I would check your soldering as there is not much else to go wrong.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:36pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Amnesie said  Hello,

none of my Keyboards work with my CMM2.
By using the Serial connection via my laptop, the keypresses are appering on the screen.

Just as a matter of interest, have you tried entering: OPTION CONSOLE BOTH, as that setting is default, if it was corrupt or wrong, it would make all keystrokes from the USB Keyboard not appear on the screen.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for your reply!

The schematic in the construction.zip is wrong.
Acording to your USB "73725-0110BLF" connector the pinout is:

1= Vcc
2= D-
3= D+
4= GND

The schematic (V3) says:

1= GND
2= D+ (PIN PA12)
3= D- (PIN PA11)
4= Vcc

My USB connector (https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ws/C120/30093681-02.png) has got the same pinout as the  "73725-0110BLF" by Amphenol.

All cennections are tripple checked & measured and tested with four differend keyboards. And yes all jumpers are removed. Via the serial-connection the Maximite works, as far as I can say without soldered SD-card-socket...
Connections are fine. If they would be mirrored the 3 keyboard leds wouldn't light up
at as I am power on the Maximite. Hm... I am running out of ideas... My hope was that it has something to do with the sd-card-socket I haven't soldered yet... (waiting for shipping from china)...

Greetings
Daniel

Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 10:01pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KeepIS said  
  Amnesie said  Hello,

none of my Keyboards work with my CMM2.

Just as a matter of interest, have you tried entering: OPTION CONSOLE BOTH, as that setting is default, if it was corrupt or wrong, it would make all keystrokes from the USB Keyboard not appear on the screen.

Mike.

Yes I tried via Serial "OPTION CONSOLE BOTH" but the "USB-Host" keystrokes still not appering on the screen... Hm!

Running out of ideas...

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 10:09pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Really strange as every keyboard I've thrown at it works, old, new and wireless.

There are only two connections to the CPU, apart from +5v and ground, so not much to go wrong. Faulty socket? I suppose you've re flashed the Waveshare?

Apart from that  

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 10:46pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am right now uploading a video to youtube, with "funny" german accent :)

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44esvFVnZM

I got it working but in a really strange way and ONYL by resetting the Waveshareboard via the Reset-Button. Please watch the video till the end, you see the problem appears all the time and is reproducable.

As far as I can tell it is not a contact problem or any issue with the connection. I meassured and checked it multiple times, also it fits not to this kind of behavior I show you in the video.

I have really no idea, but thank you all for helping me!
As I said... My only guess is, that the firmware "detects" that I didn't have soldered the sd-card-socket (waiting for it) and does some blocking of the keystrokes? Serial-communications works fine every time.

As you can see in the video I tried even a second USB-socket with interchanged D- & D+ connections, but as it turns out the originaly soldered USB socket works well.

Yes I flashed the Waveshare by myself and clicked "Verify" - everything ok. I have got the 400Mhz Version of the Waveshare, not the newer 480Mhz version.

Greetings
Daniel

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:02pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Amnesie,

That certainly seems strange to me..

As opposed to the MMX family where I have found many kb do not work, I have found every kb I tried (including ones that don’t work with the MMX) work fine...

There are Several things I would look at ..  

Have you run the configuration to change the default power draw for the MCP2221A from 100mA to 500Ma?
Peter Mather posted a link somewhere on TBS for a UTIL to do just that.

Have you tried a different power source Like a battery bank Or another PC (not a laptop) to eliminate power supply issues?

Have you tried a different USB A-B cable?
Don’t use a VERY long one or one that the wires are very skinny, use a good quality lead.

There is a possibility that there is a solder short between a kb data line D+ or D- and Another track, go over your soldering carefully.. use a meter and measure to GND or VCc Or 5V.  Those are the most likely areas to short to..

Similar to 4, check your solder on the USB connector and the header pins for the Waveshare PCB, maybe one has been soldered like a `ball’ but not connected to the actual pad.

Use a meter to make sure that D+ and D- go to the correct pads on the ARM PCB and that there isnt some high resistance there..

Apart from that I think I have run out of things to try.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 11:58pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mick,

as I already said, everything you noticed I checked (apart from the MCP2221A because I have got the MCP2221 version , not the "A") I tried it also without this chip, but serial communication works, as I said. This is not the problem.

I also cleaned the board from flux with 99% alcohol. Nothing changed. My guess is it has to do with the software, because it is perfectly reproducible like I show in the video:

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44esvFVnZM

And the keyboard NEVER works on the "fresh" startup, only when I press the reset-button right on the Waveshareboard! So there must be a software reason, too I guess.

Greetings
Daniel
Edited 2020-07-09 10:00 by Amnesie

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:04am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i notice you pressing random letter keys when prompted to select a keyboard type in your video clip.

what happens when you press the '1' '2' or '3' key when prompted for the keyboard type? it could be that if a valid selection is not made at that point, things go wrong later on.

i also believe that removing the coin cell (backup battery) will do a full reset of stored settings, including the keyboard setting.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2020-07-09 10:05 by robert.rozee

Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 12:18am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Rob,

yes, the Coin-Cell isn't soldered, but this should not be a problem for testing the keyboard function. If I type "3", for example nothing happens.

So I just can wait for the coin-cell & sd-card-holder and hoping it works with them.

But again: keyboard via Serial connection via Laptop works perfectly. Also the keyboard and USB connector works, but only by pressing the reset-button on the Waveshareboard.

So to sum it up:

USB-Connector: works!
Bad Connections / flux: no!
Different Cable & Keyboards tested: yes!
Different powersource tested: yes!
Behaviour reproducible: yes! (cuts out bad connection etc)
Jumpers removed on waveshareboard: yes, all of them!
Serial connection: works perfectly!
Tried "OPTION CONSOLE BOTH": yes!

My guess: combination of missing sd-card-socket / coin-cell-holder and the firmware somehow detecting it and producing failure.

So I have to wait until the both sockets / holders arrive ... just wanted to check the function so far..

Greetings!
Daniel

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:03am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps your system is not getting enough power.
The start up load is preventing the keyboard from initialising properly.

Did you see this post about the MCP2221A
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=12240

Not a problem if you are powering it from an external 5V

If you don't have a battery, try with the VBAT jumper ON.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Koryo

Posted: 05:25am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was too shy to post this same problem because I thought I was in error. I have a premade CMM2 and I cannot get any of my USB keyboards to work either.

Non-hub
FAT SD inserted
USB B power
Current firmware
Screen looks correct, flashing prompt
Solid red LED

No keystrokes registered.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:34am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Amnesie,

I too do not have a battery in my CMM2 (I bought 10 from Element14 and 8 were dead flat and 2 were just under 3V -- its been 2 weeks since I requested a refund and they are still investigating .. go figure)

When you power up the CMM2 I see that you hit keys and nothing happens.. This is because the CMM2 is awaiting a response to set keyboard type then time and date..
The intitial question is asking for keyboard type the ONLY valid keypresses are numerical 1, 2 or 3 (if using the keypad you need to hit num lock) you will NOT see any OTHER response because the CMM2 is waiting for one of those keys to select the kb type.. This ONLY happens the first time you power up or if you have no battery), so that response is normal.

When you see this screen

Colour Maximite 2
MMBasic Version 5.05.03
Copyright 2011-2020 Geoff Graham
Copyright 2016-2020 Peter Mather

Initial setup - all parameters can be changed later
Keyboard type: 1=UK, 2=US, 3=DE ?

The ONLY response from the kb will be if you press 1, 2 or 3 ... NO OTHER KEY will respond

After you select kb / time /date then I see you get some funnies, where the kb works but then hit enter and then it does not work.. I have no answer for that except your power supply.

The reason I mentioned the config (as possible reason No. 1) and TassyJim has given you the link I refer to is that the power comes from the TYPE-B connector, the MCP2221A (not sure off hand about the non-A) negotiates with the power source by default for only 100mA, This may not be enough to drive the Cmm2 and your keyboard so the keyboard suffers.

Please try the util referred to by Jim, if it doesnt work then without having it in front of me I am afraid I am out of ideas.

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 05:40am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Amnesie said  
My guess: combination of missing sd-card-socket / coin-cell-holder and the firmware somehow detecting it and producing failure.

So I have to wait until the both sockets / holders arrive ... just wanted to check the function so far..

Greetings!
Daniel

I ran my Waveshare board without an SD reader or battery backup, I soldered a USB connector with flying leads to the waveshare board, soldered wires to a resistor network and got my VGA screen running, it still worked perfectly.  

This is really strange, and a new problem, especially as you tried a another USB SKT.

And now we have another.  

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 05:44am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With respect to the MCP2221A, I pretty sure that if you power it from a 5V power pack there is no negotiation on source current, so running from a power pack should answer that question.

Mike

EDIT: Just a general FYI, you can not use the waveshare USB socket when a USB Keyboard is plugged in to the Motherboard.
Edited 2020-07-09 15:48 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:56am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Koryo,
Assuming you have control via the PC terminal,
What do you get with:
print MM.INFO$(KEYBOARD)

Try both with the USB keyboard plugged in and again without the KB plugged in.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:56am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Amnesie said  Hello Mick,

as I already said, everything you noticed I checked (apart from the MCP2221A because I have got the MCP2221 version , not the "A")

I believe you need to do it for that chip too.

John

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 07:56am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Koryo said  I was too shy to post this same problem because I thought I was in error. I have a premade CMM2 and I cannot get any of my USB keyboards to work either.

Non-hub
FAT SD inserted
USB B power
Current firmware
Screen looks correct, flashing prompt
Solid red LED

No keystrokes registered.

Welcome to the forum, ask anything here, almost everyone on here is happy to help and knows that first time introduction to the hardware and Maximite range can leave some unanswered questions.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:03am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps also bitten by the MCP2221A / MCP2221 problem.

John

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024