Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:58 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : W10 MBR Problem

Page 2 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:34am 16 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed.

Where were you getting the idea that I was on WiFi?  

ALL my NAS boxes and even my one Windoze box that is left, are ALL on ethernet hard-wired at 1GBs.

I do note that SOME of the routers I have seen have USB for a NAS drive, but the ones I have seen so far are still only USB2, so not as fast as USB3 or wired network.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 06:08pm 16 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most modern routers have the internal Samba code and the external USB 3.0 plug. I haven't seen any switches or hubs which will support a USB drive. If you want a quick NAS just buy a router which supports a USB 3.0 drive.

Once you buy the router you have the temptation to fire up the WiFi, but that will be slower. Use Ethernet instead even if you have to fiddle around figuring out sub net addresses.

Paul in NY

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 02:46am 05 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  Now that you have everything working, download Macrium Reflect, and make an image of your new SSD, that way, if something goes horribly wrong again, you can re-image your SSD using the image file and another computer with Macrium Reflect on it, then you don't have to re-install W10, activate, install all the drivers, install all your programs, copy all your data from the backups etc....  Makes life much less stressful if you have to do a full system restore.

Quote  Thanks Grogs.

Downloaded & installed Reflect. Will wait for a bit before using it to make sure all is OK.

Brian

Well, I'd think I'd learn!!!. I waited a bit too long before organising a proper backup routine.

C: drive on main PC drive played up. Lost programs then failed to boot. Required another reinstall.
Suspect the problem was a faulty SATA lead. Only a bit of data lost.

Although not completely restored, I now have a couple of images saved; RoboMirror (Robocopy) running to a couple of other drives & a few other things done.

I also have OneDrive linked to Documents as well. The Jury is still out on this one.

Now to do the same for my laptops.....

Brian
ChopperP

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:08am 06 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I admire and appreciate your honesty.
We all procrastinate from time to time.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 06:40pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When are you guys going to learn to not follow Bill Gates around like puppy dogs!

Don't use DOCUMENTS! On my main box Bill stuck it in as "c:\Users\PAJL\Documents\" and it includes 16 subdirectories none of which I installed or added any files to.

All of my data is always on some other drive with a mysterious directory structure which only a Polack can understand -- names like A, B, C, D, E etc.

All of my computers use identical nonsense names. I use different freebie cloud services to replicate the same named directories, "Q,X,& Y" across all my boxes which stay almost identical without much attention.

ROBOCOPY batch files make file copies to/from certain directories in SAMBA disks attached to routers or to removable USB drives.

I maintain records, including tax returns, for a bunch of public charities involved in getting retired racing greyhound dogs adopted to homes. Back in 2016 a Microsoft Windows 10 update trashed an orphaned Gateway P3 DX4860 I5 3GHz 4 core box. Gateway had gone bankrupt, peripheral drivers were not available, Microsoft updated the drivers but could not roll back. I didn't have a recent ISO disk. I lost the C source code for the Clipper Summer 87 rewrite and a bunch of charity records!

I now have tea roses planted in the Gateway case!!!!!

THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!!!
MAKE IMAGE BACKUPS!
MAKE AUTOMATED FILE COPY BACKUPS!
KEEP THE BACKUP DISKS UNPLUGGED!
EVERY DISK AND MACHINE WILL FAIL CATASTROPHICALLY!
DON'T TRUST MICROSOFT, OR LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS!
SET WINDOWS 10 TO NOT MAKE UPDATES!
WATCH WWW.ASKWOODY.COM TO DETERMINE WHEN IT IS SAFE TO UPDATE!
DISCONNECT FROM THE WEB WHEN YOU ARE AWAY FROM THE MACHINE!

PROTECT YOUR DATA AND YOUR WORK! WAKE UP GUYS!

Paul in NY
Edited 2021-03-08 04:42 by Paul_L

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I admire and appreciate your honesty.
We all procrastinate from time to time.  

Thanks Grogs.

I was sort of waiting for a "blast" from Paul in NY before I replied / updated. He didn't let me down!!! Thanks Paul. Suitably chastised.

!@#$%^& One Drive.

Made the really stupid mistake of linking my PC & 2 laptops to OD. (same account)

Firstly, Docos, desktop etc went to the user\Onedrive folder on the HDD.
Then all the documents & desktops etc from the 3 units appeared on each one. What a mess. Unlinked them all. Still trying to sort stuff out.

Had a small spreadsheet directly on the main PC desktop instead of having it in Docos & using a link to the desktop. Seemed to have lost that. Won't do that again. (Data recoverable elsewhere but inconvenient)  

I could not get RoboCopy to send stuff to my USB server attached to my broadband modem/router. Access Denied errors. From the Command line, as a test, COPY worked but XCOPY didn't. Access denied error as well. Tried lots of things but to no avail.
Robocopy works OK to & from other machines on the network as do other Backup utilities.

I have Macrium Reflect doing some periodic image backups & Robocopy doing local files & anther BU utility for the server.

Now got regular BU routines set up on my wife's laptop which has heaps of stuff on it.

TBC.

Brian in Toowoomba QLD.

Update. Found the Spreadsheet. Just remembered Windows kept the old stuff (windows.old) when I reinstalled Windows. Found it under Desktop.... (Thanks Bill)

Edited 2021-03-08 10:11 by Chopperp
ChopperP

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 07:50pm 09 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The blast is warranted. Secure offline backups are vital with all of the snooping that's going on now.

At Pan Am we had an interesting backup routine involving the primary IBM 3090 mainframe in Rockleigh NJ, a secondary 3090 in Frankfurt Germany, a third 3090 in Hong Kong, a fourth 3090 in London, and a bunch of backup Winchesters scattered around the world. The whole mess was patched together using our 4 full time echo start channels on a time shared basis. The satellite channels would be co-opted for higher priorities like world wide weather forecasts, fuel load calculations, weight and balance, flight plans, passenger and freight loading, crew scheduling and maintenance records. This data traffic would tend to occur in bursts. When things calmed down the backup routines would kick in and copy everything to everywhere almost continuously.

Somehow, it worked. From early 1974 until the shutdown on December 5, 1991 we had exactly 23 minutes and 47 seconds of unplanned outages of the 3090 family!

Backups shouldn't take a lot of your time, but they do require a good bit of planning to set them up.

Paul in NY

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024