Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:08 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 Mandelbrot Explorer 16bit Color Version

Page 1 of 2    
Sasquatch

Posted: 02:23am 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is an initial release of MandelbrotEXP16 V1.0

This new program calculates the "Normalized partial iteration" (Yikes) for each pixel for smooth color transitions.

I don't see this program as an "upgrade" or "replacement" for the 8 bit color Mandelbrot Explorer, It's a completely different animal in my opinion although it shares most of the user-interface with the other program.

I am partially color-blind and I do like the contrast and visual textures provided by the 8bit colors in the other version.  If you have better color perception than mine, you may have a greater appreciation for the smooth color transitions in this new version.

In any case, I think there is a place for both versions.

Notes:

I changed the aspect ratio to display better on "normal" monitors.

Rolling colors is disabled for now, I need to figure out an efficient way to roll 16bit colors.  CSUB?

The 'P' key will now display a color mapping help screen while the 'M' key is a shortcut to allow you to change the color mapping without the separate screen.

The rendering time is only slightly slower due to the fact that the additional calculation only takes place once each pixel and not each iteration.  

I am working on some final tweaks that may improve performance (rendering time) and then I will post the 'C' source code and sample files etc.

Let me know what you think about the smooth colors!

MandelbrotEXP16.zip
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 12:16pm 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch, I love it!

Sorry I've been awol...but I've been busy with life and hobbies #1 & #2!  

Everything works as expected and the smooth transitions on coloring are perfect! I'll try and test all functions out later today!

Great job!

Steve

yock1960

Posted: 12:20am 25 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perfect time 'waster'! Everything works. I added a line to play a modfile while roaming around, looks like 8000 samplerate is tolerable up to 512 iterations. I like at least 256 iterations. I wonder if there is any possibility of improving this...some tweak on the csub side? In about a month, I may have some time to do something productive with this.

Steve

Sasquatch

Posted: 03:38am 25 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  Perfect time 'waster'! Everything works. I added a line to play a modfile while roaming around, looks like 8000 samplerate is tolerable up to 512 iterations. I like at least 256 iterations. I wonder if there is any possibility of improving this...some tweak on the csub side? In about a month, I may have some time to do something productive with this.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback Steve!  I had been so focused on keyboard problems and rendering performance that I hadn't even thought about music in the background.  Try this test version when you have a little "time to waste" LOL  It renders just a bit slower, but gives MMBasic more time to do it's background processing.  It may help with your mod file at greater iteration depth.

I also included some updated sample files with nice color mapping for the 16bit version in the .zip file.

I'm still working on the color mapping, it works ok, but I think it could be better.

MandelbrotEXP16.zip
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 10:48am 25 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch, that did the trick! Works well at 256 iterations and 22050 sample rate. I think it's even okay at 44100,  maybe just a slight stutter on occasion, but since my ear detects no difference between 22050 and 44100, I'll keep it lower.

If I can find some time here in the next few days, I'll work on a routine to: play music?, ask for a directory to build a play list.

Steve

Sasquatch

Posted: 01:23pm 25 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  Sasquatch, that did the trick! Works well at 256 iterations and 22050 sample rate. I think it's even okay at 44100,  maybe just a slight stutter on occasion, but since my ear detects no difference between 22050 and 44100, I'll keep it lower.

If I can find some time here in the next few days, I'll work on a routine to: play music?, ask for a directory to build a play list.

Steve

Sounds great!  I had also thought about a "slideshow" mode that would cycle through the images stored as .dat files displaying each one for 10 seconds or something like that. If combined with music that would be even better.
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 07:04pm 29 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch, Here is a modification to the .bas file, that adds the ability to play modfiles. I ask for a modfile directory or answer 'no' for no music. It will play modfiles for 5 minutes (a reasonable time, given you don't know when a modfile ends) then change to the next file and loop around, I use setticks for this. You can also press the Wii Classic R button or the 'N' key to change to the next file. I've also added more functions for the Wii Classic and changed the defaults for depth and hue...something 'pretty'   . I'm not sure of your revision method, changed it to version 1.0U from 1.0T. I would send some modfiles, but am unsure of copyright status...they're easy enough to get hold of. I could also add the same ability for .mp3, but for me at least, modfiles are more in keeping with the 'retro-ness' of the platform!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16u.zip

Sasquatch

Posted: 08:28pm 29 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Yock!  I'll check it out later today.  

I plan to work on a "Slideshow" mode where it will cycle through the .dat files displaying (rendering) each one in sequence.  Combined with the music this should be really cool.  

And thanks for the help with the default colors, My color perception is sub-standard.
Edited 2020-09-30 06:29 by Sasquatch
-Carl

Sasquatch

Posted: 10:02pm 29 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  Sasquatch, Here is a modification to the .bas file, that adds the ability to play modfiles. I ask for a modfile directory or answer 'no' for no music. It will play modfiles for 5 minutes (a reasonable time, given you don't know when a modfile ends) then change to the next file and loop around, I use setticks for this. You can also press the Wii Classic R button or the 'N' key to change to the next file. I've also added more functions for the Wii Classic and changed the defaults for depth and hue...something 'pretty'   . I'm not sure of your revision method, changed it to version 1.0U from 1.0T. I would send some modfiles, but am unsure of copyright status...they're easy enough to get hold of. I could also add the same ability for .mp3, but for me at least, modfiles are more in keeping with the 'retro-ness' of the platform!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16u.zip

Seems to work great!  I'll need to find more MOD files to give it a proper testing.  

What would you think about using the 'N' key to toggle music on/off and the < > (less than,greater than) to skip to the previous and next track?  When using the 'N' key to toggle the music on it would prompt for the directory?
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 11:18pm 29 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch said  
  yock1960 said  Sasquatch, Here is a modification to the .bas file, that adds the ability to play modfiles. I ask for a modfile directory or answer 'no' for no music. It will play modfiles for 5 minutes (a reasonable time, given you don't know when a modfile ends) then change to the next file and loop around, I use setticks for this. You can also press the Wii Classic R button or the 'N' key to change to the next file. I've also added more functions for the Wii Classic and changed the defaults for depth and hue...something 'pretty'   . I'm not sure of your revision method, changed it to version 1.0U from 1.0T. I would send some modfiles, but am unsure of copyright status...they're easy enough to get hold of. I could also add the same ability for .mp3, but for me at least, modfiles are more in keeping with the 'retro-ness' of the platform!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16u.zip

Seems to work great!  I'll need to find more MOD files to give it a proper testing.  

What would you think about using the 'N' key to toggle music on/off and the < > (less than,greater than) to skip to the previous and next track?  When using the 'N' key to toggle the music on it would prompt for the directory?

Sure, not a problem.

Steve

yock1960

Posted: 12:02pm 30 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the file with the requested changes. For now I have removed auto track changing, that will give me something to do tomorrow!   I'm also thinking about some type of status line, perhaps by changing the vertical resolution or even a 'peek a boo' type that would be pulled from offscreen...but that's going to take a bit of study on my part!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16u.zip

yock1960

Posted: 07:57pm 30 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  Here is the file with the requested changes. For now I have removed auto track changing, that will give me something to do tomorrow!   I'm also thinking about some type of status line, perhaps by changing the vertical resolution or even a 'peek a boo' type that would be pulled from offscreen...but that's going to take a bit of study on my part!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16u.zip

Well, with the way you've got this setup, the status line was pretty easy to implement, nothing fancy needed. I've also re-enabled Roll Colors, it just increments the multiplier by 10 up to the upper limit, then drops to the lower limit, etc.. works okay for me. The 'm' command is still available to set the hue and/or multiplier independently.

Other things I'm thinking about are, cursor visibility, sometimes it gets tough to see...not a big deal...and I don't have an idea at the moment to address it. Last thing would be to spiff up the status line, where the text would overlay the plot...see thru....that would take blitting I think...and study, as I haven't messed with blitting yet..

I can upload if you'd like to see these changes, or....not sure if you're still looking to do any more with this.

Steve

Sasquatch

Posted: 08:17pm 30 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  

Well, with the way you've got this setup, the status line was pretty easy to implement, nothing fancy needed. I've also re-enabled Roll Colors, it just increments the multiplier by 10 up to the upper limit, then drops to the lower limit, etc.. works okay for me. The 'm' command is still available to set the hue and/or multiplier independently.

Other things I'm thinking about are, cursor visibility, sometimes it gets tough to see...not a big deal...and I don't have an idea at the moment to address it. Last thing would be to spiff up the status line, where the text would overlay the plot...see thru....that would take blitting I think...and study, as I haven't messed with blitting yet..

I can upload if you'd like to see these changes, or....not sure if you're still looking to do any more with this.

Steve

Hey Steve, Did you get the auto track changing for the MOD files working again?  When you are done tinkering upload your latest changes and I'll merge it with anything I've changed since the last upload.  I think I'm about done, unless I get some inspiration for something more LOL.
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 12:50am 01 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Carl,  Hot off the press! See what you think.

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16v.zip

Sasquatch

Posted: 09:43pm 01 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is V1.1 of the MandelbrotEXP16 program.

Yock1960 added Modfile capability and a new status line.

The cursor has been changed to give more contrast against lighter backgrounds.

Sample .Dat files have been added to the .zip

'C' source for the Mandelbrot16 CSUB has been added to the .zip

Due to copyright concerns, you will need to supply the .MOD files to your preference.  

There seems to be several websites where .MOD files can be freely downloaded but I don't have time to research potential copyright issues.

MandelbrotEXP16.zip
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 10:52am 02 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Carl,  I think this is the last from me (finally!) A slight, subtle change to the status line. I tried the idea of transparent text background and apart from having visibility issues, similar to the cursor when in 'busy' areas (good fix on the cursor BTW), it really slowed down moving the cursor. Perhaps this could be done differently/improved, but for now, I don't think it's worth pursuing. Also fixed a minor bug with the status line. Other changes are:

1) new command 'T' for rolling Depth. It can be interesting to see the changes, goes from current through 256, 16-256 total range...probably enough for most people.

2) added some parameters to the load/save list and make a check for the existence of a file named default.dat, which will autoload if it exists.

Check this file against your latest. I just hand made the cursor changes to my last, so I may have missed anything else you changed that I didn't see!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16w.zip

Sasquatch

Posted: 03:38pm 02 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  Carl,  I think this is the last from me (finally!) A slight, subtle change to the status line. I tried the idea of transparent text background and apart from having visibility issues, similar to the cursor when in 'busy' areas (good fix on the cursor BTW), it really slowed down moving the cursor. Perhaps this could be done differently/improved, but for now, I don't think it's worth pursuing. Also fixed a minor bug with the status line. Other changes are:

1) new command 'T' for rolling Depth. It can be interesting to see the changes, goes from current through 256, 16-256 total range...probably enough for most people.

2) added some parameters to the load/save list and make a check for the existence of a file named default.dat, which will autoload if it exists.

Check this file against your latest. I just hand made the cursor changes to my last, so I may have missed anything else you changed that I didn't see!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16w.zip

Yes, I made a number of small tweaks other than the cursor.  For example no need to render the entire image when changing the MOD settings, just copy from Page 1 is much quicker.

I suggest you use a file compare program.  I use WinMerge, as the name suggests it only works on Windows but there are many others for Mac, Linux etc.  They will show two files side by side on the screen highlighting any differences and allow you to move lines or blocks of text (code) from one file to the other.
-Carl

yock1960

Posted: 08:24pm 02 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch said  

Yes, I made a number of small tweaks other than the cursor.  For example no need to render the entire image when changing the MOD settings, just copy from Page 1 is much quicker.

I suggest you use a file compare program.  I use WinMerge, as the name suggests it only works on Windows but there are many others for Mac, Linux etc.  They will show two files side by side on the screen highlighting any differences and allow you to move lines or blocks of text (code) from one file to the other.

Okay, did the file compare/resolution, merged the files. There are a few things I left different, either because they were trivial or perhaps my recent changes has made it unnecessary. For example in the next or previous mod file, you do a +2, where I do a +1...seems to work, I think this may have been a bug I fixed.

Anyway, changes:

1) Roll Depth - T command, same as roll colors, except...

2) from the startup help screen, pressing any key except TAB, loads default.dat, which is set to the program defaults, but could be changed if the user wanted. Pressing TAB loads user.dat...if it exists. After initial startup the file command is still available.

3) 'Blinged' up the status line! Some color and if autoplay is enabled, the text 'autoplay on' starts out all green, but as the 300 second count increases, the text changes red...as a visual indicator to when the next track will start.

The faster updating of the status line is great!

Steve

MandelbrotEXP16wa.zip

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 02:50am 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I finally got around to trying this 16 bit version of Mandelbrot explorer. It works fantastic! About the only change I might make is to display the full numerical resolution of the coordinates. Great work Sasquatch and yock1960! Although I didn't try the MOD files or extra commands. I/O/D and arrow keys gets me around. The default colours look great. The rest is too much to remember.  ;-)
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

yock1960

Posted: 09:44am 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So, I restricted the coordinates display to save space, trying to keep to a single line for the status line. For myself, the coordinates are not strictly important, since I'm driving around graphically. I can work on some kind of toggle, either dropping some info, the modfile title for instance, to expand the coordinates or adding a second line to the status...seeing how it looks...or something different...if I get some inspiration!

Sasquatch has done a great job with this and it's been fun adding a few bits and pieces! It should help me when I start something 'new'...new to this platform anyway!

Steve

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024