Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:58 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : A suggestion - Pi

Page 2 of 2    
toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 10:27am 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  Mixtel90 said  Talking to Raspbian, using the correct APIs, should *in theory* remove that requirement as the versions changes have already been taken care of.

It doesn't, though, as matherp has pointed out.

It would if MMBasic didn't provide the I/O features it does.  Prefer it stripped down dramatically?

John

Stripped down like the Windows version? No thanks! It doesn't even have the MATH commands!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:30am 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suppose that version could have such things added, though I'm not sure who wants to do the work.  (E.g. I could, but I don't use Windows.)

John

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:10am 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Apparently there's only ncurses and pigpio added. The former lets the user write text-based user interfaces and the latter adds GPIO support. pigpio is supplied with the later versions of  Raspbian and can probably be assumed to work correctly with it, no matter which version of Raspbian you are using. ncurses has been around for years and is mature software. The last stable release was in February, but it was additions and bug fixes. Stuff like that tends not to get major changes unnecessarily as they break too many things.

MMBasic may require hooks into the system that aren't provided by the available, published APIs. If it does then the Pi version is stuck with having OS-specific variations and whatever restrictions are necessary to get it to run. It's the "singing dog" syndrome - you may not like the fact that it sings badly, but it's a miracle that it sings at all! :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  MMBasic may require hooks into the system that aren't provided by the available, published APIs. If it does

From matherp's posts it looks like it doesn't.

John

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:04pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The former lets the user write text-based user interfaces and the latter adds GPIO support. pigpio is supplied with the later versions of  Raspbian and can probably be assumed to work correctly with it, no matter which version of Raspbian you are using. ncurses has been around for years and is mature software.

Oh dear - what naivety

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:11pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  The former lets the user write text-based user interfaces and the latter adds GPIO support. pigpio is supplied with the later versions of  Raspbian and can probably be assumed to work correctly with it, no matter which version of Raspbian you are using. ncurses has been around for years and is mature software.

Oh dear - what naivety
HeHe...  I like to be optimistic. :)

I'm guessing that, despite its age, ncurses is the source of most of the problems. It's the one bit that the Pi Foundation has no control over and won't be testing Rasbpian with.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 06:28pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please take this comment with a large spoonfull of salt, as I know very little about OS programming - however, occasionally even a fool might say something wise......

What about using RiscOS as the base for the Pi based MMBasic? It is significantly faster than Linux and is at it's heart an ARM based program, and is opensource.

Okay, now that I have said that, although I understand the attraction of building a faster (processing speed) and cheaper version of the CMM2, I'm not sure that it excites me in any way the same as the CMM2 does. We can all get faster computers, we can all get more advanced/modern languages, but the CMM2 and MMBasic is a stable hobbiest niche in a world of ever evolving hardware. I quite like the fact that we are all exploring and pushing this little block of hardware as far as we can. It's much the same reason that people are still writing programs for the C64 and Amiga etc. I would ask what the end game is with developing a Pi version of the CMM2?

I love what matherp/Peter has done with MMBasic, and I think that now it is the best implementation of BASIC that I have ever seen. I can see an argument for starting a completely seperate project to introduce MMBasic in to the RiscOS environment (so it would still boot in to RiscOS, but have an MMBasic edit window and the ability to take over the screen). But if we were to branch the project off now, when it is still undergoing very active development, then I think it might be premature and would end up with a lot of rework and conflicts. It would be more logical to wait until Peter has the language in a semi-finished state (he is obviously still very actively evolving it), and then look at porting it to other hardware (if that is what Peter wants?).

But ultimately, I guess it is what matherp/Peter's vision is for the long term. It is undeniably his baby. Does it stay as an instant on BASIC computer (the CMM2) or does it go towards a potentially larger audience of Pi users.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:55pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  What about using RiscOS as the base for the Pi based MMBasic?

Sure - just rewrite all the code that needs rewriting.

(I don't know if RiscOS provides the needed interfaces, though.)

John

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 07:07pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  PeteCotton said  What about using RiscOS as the base for the Pi based MMBasic?

Sure - just rewrite all the code that needs rewriting.

(I don't know if RiscOS provides the needed interfaces, though.)

John

It might be more work up front, but could potentially be a more stable platform in the long term (thus making the effort worthwhile). My (limited) understanding is that RiscOS is an old fashioned 90's style home computer type operating system (i.e. no real multitasking). This "might" make it easier to get down to the underlying hardware (via drivers/API's) as the computer pretty much stops what it is doing to single execute the current program (including stopping the "operating system").
Edited 2020-11-28 05:08 by PeteCotton

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 08:14pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  
What about using RiscOS as the base for the Pi based MMBasic?

There is already this ...

But it's bootability varies model to model .
my site

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 08:27pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hitsware2 said  
There is already this ...

But it's bootability varies model to model .

Cool! Thanks. I didn't know this existed.
Edited 2020-11-28 06:28 by PeteCotton

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:32pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have worked few years with RiscOS (Acorn Archimedes A4000) and it's from my point of view very good mix of modern OS (WIMP, multitasking - partially cooperative, partially  preemptive...) and almost bare metal access (writing to the screen memory, ports). Together with perfect BASIC (and be able to mix it with built-in assembler) it's really nice system...
On the other side, why bother to develop MMBasic for it, when BASIC is already there? You can use GPIO, RiscOS is really fast to boot, so why not use what's already there? I don't see the reason.
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 08:54pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  
On the other side, why bother to develop MMBasic for it, when BASIC is already there? You can use GPIO, RiscOS is really fast to boot, so why not use what's already there?

Exactamundo  
There is Basic beyond MMBasic ....
my site

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  
On the other side, why bother to develop MMBasic for it, when BASIC is already there? You can use GPIO, RiscOS is really fast to boot, so why not use what's already there? I don't see the reason.

I agree. As I mentioned earlier, if someone really wants to do it, then RiscOS might be a better starting point, but, I love the stability of the CMM2 as a fixed piece of hardware (400mhz / 480mhz processors aside). It feels more like we are developing on the CMM2 for the love of developing, rather than just throwing a faster processor, better graphics card etc. at the thing every few months. I would be quite happy playing with the CMM2 for another 5 to 10 years, eeking every last drop out of it that we can.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024