Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:23 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Updated Colour Maximite 2 Firmware (Ver 5.06.00)

Page 2 of 2    
William Leue
Guru

Posted: 06:05pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this question.

I have 2 CMM2s: one from CircuitGizmos and one of Piotr's CMM2 Deluxe versions. I use a slightly different updating procedure for each.

For the CircuitGizmos unit, I take off the top cover and set the jumper to program. I know about the command that you can use to avoid this, but it is cumbersome to use because I have to move the unit to be close to a different computer to do the update, which makes it hard to keep it powered up.

For the Deluxe model, it has a 'Flash' button on the outside which makes it unnecessary to open the unit. Instead, you hold down both Flash and Reset buttons while firing up the download program. Once the downloader has connected to the CMM2 you can release the buttons.

For both units I use an A-A USB cable, which is much, much faster than using an A-B cable.

Other than these differences, the procedure in Appendix G is used.

-Bill

Lou

Posted: 08:52pm 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ John, good to hear you can't brick the micro, I was concerned.

@ Bill, I upgraded two of CG's CMM2's to V5.06, I moved the jumper to the program position and used Geoff's Appendix G instructions, worked great !!  

I had trouble downloading STM32CubeProg from STMicroelectronice, I got caught in a loop where it kept asking for my name and email then they emailed me a download button that took me back to asking for my name and email.  I finally had to register a STMictoelectronics account with password to get the program to download, in case anyone else has that problem.  I didn't have a USB type A to A cable in my arsenal but found one on an old USB external backup drive, maybe a solution if anyone has that problem.

I have some of CG's CMM2 RetroMax's on order.  They have the sea of holes prototyping area that me and Zonker need, is that like the Piotr CMM2 Deluxe you mentioned ?

Thanks Guys,

Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 09:58pm 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the firmware update guide with the specific steps appropriate for the RetroMax:

Reloading_Firmware.pdf
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Lou

Posted: 11:19pm 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks CG,

Upgrading the RetroMax firmware should be quick and easy now that I have the STM32CubeProg software, a USB A to A cable and the instructions I have downloaded.

One question, your website said to take out the battery when upgrading the firmware on the older model CMM2.  That required reloading the time/date and keyboard type, is that needed to upgrade the RetroMax, and was it really necessary on the older model ?

Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 03:31pm 05 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OPTIONS are stored in the battery-backed RAM. From one version of firmware to the next their arrangement may change, just depending on the changes that were implemented.

Removing the battery is a belt and suspenders approach.

(Is that belt and braces to the rest of the world?)
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:04pm 05 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Belt and braces here :)

John

lew247

Guru

Posted: 11:09am 23 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Will the Colour Maximite 2 run most of the programs written for other Micromites?
once the port numbers are changed to match* ?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:17pm 23 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  Will the Colour Maximite 2 run most of the programs written for other Micromites?
once the port numbers are changed to match* ?

No JSON$ (I think someone has written a MMBasic library for the CMM2).

Nothing corresponding to the pi-cromite's ability to shell out to do a WGET without additional hardware on the standard CMM2.

I'm sure there are other differences.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:45pm 23 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  Will the Colour Maximite 2 run most of the programs written for other Micromites?

Yes, the CMM2 runs the same MMBasic interpreter as the Micromite.

Geoff
Edited 2021-01-24 00:50 by Geoffg
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

lew247

Guru

Posted: 02:54pm 23 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Geoff
I'm guessing the only display allowable is vga and none of the legacy display tyes are supported? ssd1963 etc
If they were supported along with json, wget and a few other internet based commands, cmm2 os would be a brilliant basis for board that does everything on one
Edited 2021-01-24 00:57 by lew247

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:23am 24 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  I'm guessing the only display allowable is vga and none of the legacy display tyes are supported? ssd1963 etc

Correct

lew247 said  If they were supported along with json, wget and a few other internet based commands, cmm2 os would be a brilliant basis for board that does everything on one

They have different design goals.  The CMM2 is intended as a "desktop" computer where things like speed and graphics capability are important while the Micromite series is intended more as an embedded controller where power consumption and I/O are valued.  You could try and squeeze all these features into the one device but you would end up with a compromise that did neither properly.

BTW The CMM2 supports long strings so if you had internet related stuff running on the Micromite that code should also run on the CMM2.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024