Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:01 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Raspberry Pi enters microcontrer game with a $4 Pico

Page 7 of 7    
hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 17 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I rest my case  
my site

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 18 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MustardMan

Posted: 02:33am 19 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@CaptainBoing: Funny, but sadly what society has become.

But back to the RP2040, I have been following the 'MM2 onewire' thread which reminded me of yet another (recent) situation where the ability to have a parallel task running would be so valuable.

I had an application where I would have liked to have read a one-wire DS18B20 temperature sensor and simultaneously service an interrupt running at about 20Hz. Problem was to read the 18B20, MMBASIC disables interrupts during the read (it has to, that is the way the one-wire protocol works), but that meant my 20Hz interrupts were not serviced (causing no end of grief).

To have the ability to either run multiple processes (propeller) or maybe program hardware (RP2040) to "just do" the one-wire protocol without bringing the rest of the system to a halt would have been truly great. As to whether the RP2040 could do this is a question someone other than me would have to answer.

The solution I ended up with was to respin the PCB and write some short code for a baby 8 pin PIC chip to talk over the I2C bus, where it would read the one-wire temperature (continually) and return the result when it was asked. One of those project delays I could have done without!

Cheers,

Cyber

Posted: 05:48am 29 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does anybody know the reason for such unusual design of RPi Pico pins?

For the first time I thought it's just to show off. But then I noticed that every pin has round deepening along the edge of the board, which is cunductive.

Could it be that it is intended to go in some kind of slot?
And some springy slot contacts could go into these deepenings on the board edge.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:52am 29 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cyber said  Does anybody know the reason for such unusual design of RPi Pico pins?

It allows you to solder the module directly onto a circuit board as if its a SMD component.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Cyber

Posted: 06:30am 29 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  It allows you to solder the module directly onto a circuit board as if its a SMD component.

Ah, I see now. Thank you!

Found example board for such SMD soldering. It even has holes for sticking out USB pins. )

Plasmamac

Guru

Posted: 09:46am 29 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My first steps with the pico .

Overclocking , prerendered wav data , interrupt routine

Pico streams audio
Plasma

phil99

Guru

Posted: 05:38am 30 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To MustardMan

"I had an application where I would have liked to have read a one-wire DS18B20 temperature sensor and simultaneously service an interrupt running at about 20Hz. Problem was to read the 18B20, MMBASIC disables interrupts during the read (it has to, that is the way the one-wire protocol works), but that meant my 20Hz interrupts were not serviced (causing no end of grief)."

The interrupt being so regular, would it be possible to do the One-Wire read straight after servicing the interrupt? Hopefully the read would be finished before the next interrupt is due.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:25am 30 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  To MustardMan

"I had an application where I would have liked to have read a one-wire DS18B20 temperature sensor and simultaneously service an interrupt running at about 20Hz. Problem was to read the 18B20, MMBASIC disables interrupts during the read (it has to, that is the way the one-wire protocol works), but that meant my 20Hz interrupts were not serviced (causing no end of grief)."

The interrupt being so regular, would it be possible to do the One-Wire read straight after servicing the interrupt? Hopefully the read would be finished before the next interrupt is due.

Or within the ISR? 50ms is like an eternity  

Page 7 of 7    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024