Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:42 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : I need an autodialer...

Page 1 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:39am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

I have a situation where I need to place a speaker-phone outside a door, and when someone presses it, it will auto-dial the staff cellphone.

This USED to be done via the PABX, but they have ripped out the PABX in favour of an VoIP solution which is fully network based, and the technology does not allow for any kind of door-phone or autodial ability.

With the old PABX, the extension that the speakerphone was hooked up to, was programming to simply auto-dial the staff cellphone as soon as the handset was lifted off the hook.  The PABX knew how to do that, but the new VoIP system does not/cannot.

Does anyone know of anything that might work?

Essentially, I need a dedicated autodial unit I can program to operate as described above, or perhaps even a really small and simple PABX - so long as it has an autodial feature you can program for any lifted extension.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 06:45am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would a text do?

If so take a look at my SMS Gateway using the cheap M590E for some hints (there are some v.simple mods required from stock). It would make a good "super door-bell" provided you have network there. Cheapie $5 per month SIM with free texts and you are good to go. I reckon BOM would be south of $20 for the electronics.

Ignore all the stuff using the LAN and ESP8266, just the SMS module should cover it.

http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/MMBasic.Micromite-SMS-Text-Gateway.ashx

You could personalise the message-received-tone on the staff mobile for the doorbell number to something suitably distinctive and unmissable  

It worked really well as part of my text gateway. I used to have a weird problem on a Vigor router where it would just drop the WAN and the  only thing to work, besides a proper fix, was a power cycle. I reset my router from Madeira by sending it a text and it would confirm back.
Edited 2021-04-10 17:07 by CaptainBoing

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:02am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No, text not satisfactory - it HAS to be voice, and it HAS to dial the staff cellphone.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:22am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would an ATA with speed dialing be adequate?
Most ATAs will be able to be set up for speed dialing.

It is common to see instructions at doorways
"Lift handset and dial 1#"
or similar
On my system, **1 will get me handset No 1

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:43am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, but ONLY if it can auto-dial WITHOUT any extra help or the user pushing numbers or buttons such as PABX extension numbers for example.

They push the button on the speakerphone, which is in effect lifting the phone handset from the cradle/hook, and at that point, the attached device needs to auto-dial a phone number WITHOUT any extra input from the user.  IE: As soon as the device detects the phone has been picked up, it auto-dials the number.

It has to be fully automatic.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:48am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the new voip system, still has ability for conventional hardwired phone extensions?

Had you considered using an Amazon RING?

very good system and has lots of plusses
Edited 2021-04-10 17:49 by CaptainBoing

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:59am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No, all the new extensions are fancy digital VoIP phones with flash LCD displays on them.  All old analog phones have been upgraded to VoIP phones.

I will look into Amazon RING, but prefer not to rely on a 3rd party service - it really should be all in-house if possible.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:04am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, that's the limit of my expertise - phones were still simple analogue beasts last time I played.

I wonder if/how you could interface a GSM module to voice... I seem to remember the M590 AT set has something about voice in it... I think there are "unused" pins on the module I have. If you could still use it, it gets round all these problems as wireless, no reliance on third party etc... will check the PDF

interesting canter...

EDIT: Hmmm... check out pages 10 & 12 defo has some voice capability. dunno if it's enough

http://www.wless.ru/files/GSM/Neoway/Neoway_M590E_V1_GSM_Module_Hardware_User_Guide_V1_0.pdf
Edited 2021-04-10 18:06 by CaptainBoing

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:08am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, it's a bit of a head-scratcher alright!  

I am looking to see if perhaps there is a cell-phone 3G/4G solution - a speakerphone in a box that is essential a cell-phone with one speed-dial number in it.  When you press the button, it will autodial the cellphone in memory, using the cellphone network.  That would be ideal.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:20am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yeah that is pretty much the way I am headed.

Have a look at this for the SIM900 chip (modules on ebay etc) Mentions a lot about voice  specifically 13.4 which looks just like a modem, i.e. ATD1234567 calls that number, ATH hangs up the call etc... this might just be fairly easy. Just haven't worked out how to connect the mic/speaker yet from the pinout

also english language https://www.simcom.com/

In an ideal world, this chip + MM give you the functionality you want. Cheapie SIM. Microphone and a little power amp for the speaker and you should have all the bits, the rest is just software. visitor presses button, MM detects and dials the mobile over GSM network, connects audio... do-able I reckon. A lot of fluff both hardware and software but do-able.
Edited 2021-04-10 18:45 by CaptainBoing

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:51pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you say an "autodial unit", but you have no dial tone for this to interact with, is this correct? so the problem is not just generating a DTMF tone sequence?

have you looked into using a PAP2T? this a box with an ethernet port on one end, and a couple of FXS/POTS ports on the other. i've got one here that's plugged into my network and has the base of a cordless phone attached to it. the PAP2T is configured to operate as a VoIP phone through 2talk, and i can use the cordless handset just like a landline. the PAP2T generates a dialtone to the handset, decodes the DTMF tones, and makes the connection back to 2talk. it also generates the 50 volts AC bell ringing upon an incoming call.

neat trick, is that a PAP2T can also be configured to autodial a fixed number on handset lift. see:
https://tips.timscomputer.com/voip-tip-set-linksys-pap2-to-autodial-when-taken-off-hook/

i have a few PAP2T units here, picking them up seemed like a good idea at the time  

cheers,
rob   :-)

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps you could use a cell phone in speaker phone mode.  BASIC! for Android has a PHONE.CALL command.

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 05:31pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds like an opportunity for a Micromite to interface to one of the VoIP devices. Handset on a hook outside a box. Inside is the VoIP unit and a Micromite. When the Micromite detects the lifted handset, it 'manipulates' buttons on the device as required to make the call go through. Maybe a small relay to serve the function of the phone's hook switch.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 11:03pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good morning All

Nancye's mobile phone is intended for the elderly and has an SOS function.
It is a flip phone and the SOS button is on the outside back.
When pressed, it dials up to three preset numbers and sends a message.
Is that the sort of thing you are after?  

Peter

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:58pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do a Google search for "voip door phone"

There will be plenty to choose from.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:03pm 11 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geez,

I've been away a while.

I think what you are looking for Grog was a feature on my old Sipura SPA300's 15 years ago.

I'm sure I trolled across Dial on Off-hook in their interface.

My current equivalent is a Cisco ATA191 & it's interface looks just as comprehensive.

I notice the speed dials are numbered 2-9; that rings a bell that Speed dial 1 was associated with call when off-hook.

Cheers.

Edit:- Think it's done with the Magic of their Dial Plans.
Edited 2021-04-12 09:05 by Phil23

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:16pm 11 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here you go....

Auto dial when the ata goes off hook is done via the dial plan. A dial plan such as:

S0<:19231234567>

Tried adding the URL of the source but the forum told me no special characters?????? could be used in my post.

Couldn't detect any...
Edited 2021-04-12 09:17 by Phil23

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:44pm 11 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Rob: Dial-tone - YES we have that.  We have a dedicated POTS(plain old telephone service) line for the door alarms, and that same line is also used by the lift phones if someone pushes the emergency telephone button in the lift.

It HAS to be fully battery-backed in case of power cut - especially for the lift phones.  That is why they use a POTS for these things, and VoIP for everything else, but apparently the VoIP system is NOT fully battery-backed, so we can't go via that new system, as it is 'Non compliant' as far as being fully battery backed so that it will still work through that path if there is a power cut.

So, we have dial tone and an active phone line to use, we just need to find a way to autodial the 24-hour staff cellphone number in the event that the door or lift phones are pressed.  As I say, the PABX they pulled out used to do that, but now it has been ripped out, we need to find another way to do it.

@ vegipete: Certainly!    I just don't have the time to do it, as they need a solution ASAP for the building warrant of fitness.  It IS something I would like to look at once we get past this though!

@ PeterB: That sounds PERFECT.  Can you link me to it?

@ Jim: Agreed, but again, cos the VoIP system they put in is not fully battery backed, it does not comply as it won't work if there is a power cut.  Not according to the I.T. guys anyway, and it's their system so they should know I guess.  

@ Phil23: Sounds like what I am after.  You could send me the link via my contact us page on my website.

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 12:16am 12 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good morning again.

https://asperamobile.com/phones/easy-phones/aspera-f40/

This may not be identical to Nancye's but it is close. We never used the SOS facility because she went into a nursing home almost immediately. I think there are other brands of SOS, big button phones for the elderly.

Her phone is unused and near my elbow.

Good luck

Peter

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:36am 12 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent, thanks Peter!  

Your mention of these kinds of cellphone, made me do a wee search, and there are heaps and heaps of them, such as this one here.

This is kinda exactly what we want I think, so I might get one in via DHL and try it out.  Pretty much all cellphones you can buy now, all seem to be quad-band by default, and should work in just about any country.  I note SOME are still 2G, which is essentially dead, so you need to stay away from those ones!  

These might be perfect for the doors, but not sure about the lift.  A cellphone inside a lift tends to suffer from being surrounded by all that steel of the cabin.  I'll do a signal test inside the lift with the doors closed on my personal cellphone today.  We have a cellphone tower on the hill literally about 2km away, so the signal is pretty strong, so we'll see.

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024