Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:39 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CircuitGizmos CMM2 DFU not working?

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 09:28pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

I've got a CircuitGizmos CMM2 which has never gone into to DFU mode forcing me to load the firmware using the COM port. This lead to a nearly all-night battle between me and my CMM2.

The STM loader besides having the annoying "feature" of ignoring the file that you chose to download from the "Open File" tab for its preference for the last file it remembered in its file path, would fail part way through the download. So be sure to have the file that you actually want to load in the file path.

Eventually I started using the "Automatic Mode" since it would continue to load the same firmware over and over and I could interrupt the Auto Mode once it eventually had a good load. This worked, but I'm pretty sure that the normal mode would work now for me.

While searching for help with this issue, I came across a post that mentioned that the STM loader needed to have access to port 4444 to function. That led me to an eureka moment that possibly my VPN was interfering with the download in some fashion.

This apparently was the case, since with my VPN off I was able to download the firmware into my CMM2 (at 4:00 am local).

But does anyone know why the DFU feature doesn't work?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:00pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How do you put the CMM2 into update mode?
I have problems if I use the software "FIRMWARE UPDATE" method but no problems with using the jumpers.
This is with a range of different hardware.
I always use the USB A-A cable method.

My STM software always remembers the last path used so no issues there.
I don't use a VPN so haven't seen your other problem either.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 10:45pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've only used the jumper method, I wasn't aware of any other method. I followed CircuitGizmo's advice to remove the battery, as well as the SD card, set the jumper to "Program" and power it up. This was done with the video cable, speaker, and keyboard cables removed.

I used two different USB "A" male to USB "B" male cables. Isn't the other socket just for the keyboard?

Various combinations of reset button presses as well as disconnecting the "Program" jumper and re-connecting it had no affect.

As for the "Download" tab, yeah, just forget about that and use the "File Path" instead. But if you forget, as I did, multiple times, you will end up with whatever was in there last. Did I mention that it was late when I worked on it? :)

The weird thing about the VPN problem was that erasing the chip has always worked, and I was able to see that it had "FF"'s written in the flash. Likewise, after a failed attempt I could see that at least some of the firmware had made its way onto the flash. Odd why it would start and quit partway.

And it just updated the firmware with my VPN up with no problem. So I'm back to square one...

I've been checking why I don't see a DFU device in Windows (or Linux for that matter) and I'm in the process of re-installing the STM software to version 2.6.

We'll see how that goes...

Thanks!

John

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:51pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Read appendix G in the CMM2 manual
It describes the firmware update methods.
A short extract:
  Quote  Make sure that the Type-B USB power cable to the Colour Maximite is disconnected.
Using a USB Type-A to Type-A cable connect the USB Keyboard port on the Colour Maximite 2 to a USB
port on your desktop computer. This will power up the Colour Maximite regardless of the position of the
power switch. You should also hear a sound from your computer as it connects to the Colour Maximite.

A USB A-A cable connected to the keyboard port is the preferred way to go. Much faster and more reliable than serial.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 10:53pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahh! I had been mucking around that part of the manual but missed that tidbit.

Thanks!!!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 11:04pm 12 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Update:

Buying a USB A to A cable did the trick, thanks again!

Still no flashing light, but no problem writing the firmware.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024