Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:10 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Unicode

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 03:02am 16 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMBasic requires true ASCII in the code. No extended ASCII allowed as it would conflict with command tokens.

The current version of MMEdit has a function to check for and replace some of the most common problems such as curly or 'smart' quotes.

The new version of MMEdit is compiled as Unicode so I have to do things differently.
If I let the system convert files to ASCII, they end up with far too many ? characters. I have put a function in to convert to ASCII, making a a few obvious changes to suit MMBasic.

I have also included some characters that appear in datasheets etc and cause grief when posting extracts to this forum.

In the image below, the first line is a paste from an external source followed by a "paste in ASCII"

Note the ohm character not correctly shown in the ohm example.

By using "paste in ASCII", the converted text is put back into the clipboard as well as the open file so it can be used to sanitise any text ready for posting here.

Not shown is +/- and a few dash and space characters.

The question is what characters have I missed?

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:58am 16 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TassyJim,

I am not sure how unicode affects things, but I would definitely like to see the "degrees" symbol (degrees C, degrees F). But maybe that is already in standard ASCII ?

Thanks,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:48am 16 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Hi TassyJim,

I am not sure how unicode affects things, but I would definitely like to see the "degrees" symbol (degrees C, degrees F). But maybe that is already in standard ASCII ?

Thanks,

Volhout

Most if not all MMBasic fonts have the degree symbol replacing the back tick ` so it is well catered for. It is one substitution I have already put in the mix.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Muits

Posted: 10:23am 17 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sometimes editor matters to support these types of operation, I want to suggest once check for the editor version and support
Best Tactical Flashlight

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024