Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:38 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : RetroMax 2.3a Generation 2 Questions And observations

Ratall

Posted: 01:42am 18 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I received mine a month or so ago and thought I would share some observations first.

Power is supplied via a usb C socket on the back of the unit not a type B socket as on the original design.

There is only one type A usb socket for the keyboard none for the mouse.
In-between the 2 Nunchuck connectors is a 4 pin connector this is for connecting the mouse.

I ordered one with the slim line case. As a result of this I did not realise that the nunchuck connectors are upside down resulting in a dead nunchuck. The notch on the bottom of the nunchuck plug must face upward. This is written on the circuit board but this is not visible with the case on.

The board has a 16 Pin pad for a RTC but I am told uses by David from Circuit Gizmos is for the optional 8 pin DS3231.

The Board has a hardwired ESP32 VRoom 32D which has WiFI BT and BLE. I can not been able to access it and have no idea what firmware if any it is running.

The board is well made and has a see of holes, 8 unwired LEDs , one wire user LED
Plus numerous other interesting connectors. What it lacks is documentation, what little documentation it does have is in the form of notes added to the previous version.

Which leads me to my current questions?
1) does anyone know what firmware is running on the ESP32?
2) does anyone know how to update the firmware on the ESP32?
3) is there a circuit diagram available for the Retromax 2.3a so I can work out some of this stuff out myself?

Any help Greatly appreciated.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 05:46am 19 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ratall,

Normally you would have seen response from CircuitGizmo here in this forum thread. I am not sure if you received a p.m. Gizmo.
Anyway, it is unfortunate that you ran into these problems, an that you cannot find the circuit diagram of your retromax 2.3. I tried looking at gizmos website, but this website is not providing the info. There are database errors and blocked sections now that did not exist earlier.

The circuit diagram of the core will be identical to the cmm2, but it is the specific interfaces you are interested in. I cannot help you. Please p.m. Circuit gizmo, he is on this forum, and normally very responsive.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024