Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:47 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Transparent Sprites on the CMM2

daveculp

Posted: 02:12pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Im at my wits end with transparent sprites, looking for some help.

Im getting back to CMM2 programming and decided to try making a simple game.  Ive got a starfield which is just three arrays holding X,Y and color data for three levels of a parallax style star field.

I have a player sprite which is just a spaceship cut from a sprite from the free sprite_lib library https://www.widgetworx.com/spritelib/.

I set mode 1 at the start and go. I draw small circles where the "stars" are and then draw the sprite, all on page 2 then I do a page copy to page 0. Everything works great except I cannot for the life of me get transparent pixels on the sprite. I'm not looking for semi-transparency, just a standard sprite in which certain pixels are transparent and let things in the background show through.

I have saved as a PNG with both transparency data and with the transparent pixels set to 0,0,0 RGB.  I use SPRITE LOADPNG to the load it and it  never works, even tried out different graphics modes.

I use GIMP to edit the sprite.  I THINK the problem may lie in the format GIMP uses to save the image data.

Any tips?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:44pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are you in a 12-bit colour mode? Transparency only works in 12-bit colour with page 0 and page 1 used for the two layers. Check the manual for more details
Edited 2022-01-27 01:44 by matherp

daveculp

Posted: 05:11pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did try 12 bit color depth and got the same results.  I did read the manual and the manual on graphics programming.

I was under the impression that 12 bit depth transparency was mostly for making semi-transparent objects like in the ghost demo but every mode could support sprite transparency in which RGB(0,0,0) was not drawn, meaning it would be "transparent".

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:10pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can you try to just LOAD PNG on a convenient page, then SPRITE READ to 'sprite-ify' the  rectangle of interest?
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

daveculp

Posted: 06:17pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  Can you try to just LOAD PNG on a convenient page, then SPRITE READ to 'sprite-ify' the  rectangle of interest?

I will give that a try tonight!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:37pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RGB(0,0,0) is always black. If you use that for a sprite it's on an opaque black background.
You need a PNG with "chequerboard" background, indicating that it's transparent. That's in ARGB4444.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

daveculp

Posted: 06:55pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  RGB(0,0,0) is always black. If you use that for a sprite it's on an opaque black background.
You need a PNG with "chequerboard" background, indicating that it's transparent. That's in ARGB4444.

I will see if GIMP will save in ARGB4444 format.  Page 37 of the graphics programing document stated that the ideal format was ARGB8888 so I was using that.
Edited 2022-01-27 04:57 by daveculp

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:09pm 26 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As far as I was concerned that was the "hard" book. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

daveculp

Posted: 07:28pm 28 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got simple Sprite transparency working on all color depths using a PNG in ARGB8888 format by using SPRITE WRITE instead of SPRITE SHOW.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024