Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:08 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite: PicoGAME VGA development

Page 31 of 31    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:59pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Controlling picomite from MMB4W is definitely possible.

This thread provides several methods for controlling a picomite from MMB4W via serial--first sending codes to perform actions (sort of following Geoff's code for controlling a micromite over I2C), the second expanding that to send entire MMBasic commands to be run with the EXECUTE command, and the third in which the Picomite has only the MMBasic firmware installed (no user code), and the MMB4W program acts as if it were a human operator acting at the ">" prompt.

The code for the third method is here.

These methods also work for MMBasic DOS.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:59pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry for hijacking this post but:

@lizby, thanks, I'd forgotten about your post.

@Mick, if I was to build a part PicoGAME then I may as well use the PicoGAME or CMM2 to play the game (I could also use a CMM2 as the interface).

@Tom, I was concerned about some extra lag and yes, I agree that using the USB would be better.

Probably not worth the effort to use an extra box as interface when the same can be achieved with the PicoGAME or CMM2 in it's own box.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:00am 01 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMB4W has great graphics, VGApicoGAME has game controller inputs. They are a good pair.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:03am 10 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It turns out there is no link to the PicoGAME 20 Constructors Pack.zip in this thread ... now there is .

@Mixtel90 originally posted it here: PicoGAME 2.0

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 10 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

It's seems like forever (my wife says since March, and in my defence I have been doing other things in parallel) that I've been working on the game that I "promised" @Mixtel90 if he created the PicoGAME VGA ... it's almost done ... but definitely not worth the wait ... I just need to update my controller library to use the new PicoMite VGA "keydown" code that Peter implemented in the latest firmware and then give it some more vigorous testing.

In the meantime I had a quick play with some hardware and here is the same code running on the regular PicoMite with an LCD display: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhEMfrhJlJc.

"Yes", the attached "NES" controller is functional (though I've noticed I have A & B reversed from the usual convention), I just have a limited number of hands, and "Yes", that is important constructional BluTack .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-11-11 00:13 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:27am 17 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

I may be mistaken but on PCB 2.0 is Pin 1 of Atari Joystick B missing a hardware pull-up? Every other I/O pin on the A & B ports seems to have one

EDIT: ... ah, is it shown on the fragment of schematic for the Pico instead of on that for the controllers ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2023-04-17 21:27 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:44am 17 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On PicoGAME 1.4 there was no connection to Port B Pin 1 so you couldn't have an Atari joystick on there.

On PicoGAME 2.0 I included link LB3 to connect it to GP28. To get the pullup LB3 has to be closed, LB2 set to PORTB and LB1 set to give a pullup on GP28. It's a bit of a runaround, but there are only so many pins to play with. :)  GP28 gives UP, of course.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:14pm 17 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick, I still haven't built a PicoGAME 2.0 but it sounds like my fears are allayed.

Page 31 of 31    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024