Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:29 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite: Waveshare Zero board...

Page 2 of 2    
Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 12:25pm 21 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well if I were to Dream it would be cool to have MMBasic on "Bare Metal" and skip Raspbain all together! I TRUELY envy you guys that are writing MMbasic, because when I look at the Pico and pi zero I see a low cost "Every Man" PLC with out the PIA SIMATIC STEP 7 software. I've only been playing with the Picomite stuff for maybe a month and I still get Giddy and excited by every possibility every time I turn on an LED or run a motor with an L298N Motor Drive Controller, once I get interfacing my RC Stuff and Stepper Motors down the PM has unlimited potential as a Maker Lego :)
Edited 2022-04-22 01:41 by Rickard5
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:18am 23 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying yourself.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

al18

Posted: 02:49pm 23 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PLC running Basic are not new. There was a Basic Stamp PLC released in 2003, and I’m pretty sure this was not the first one.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:14pm 23 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In 1986 Zilog released the Z8 (Z8671), a microprocessor with built-in BASIC interpreter ROM, so no, it's not a new idea. I tried to get hold of one to play with but they were already obsolete by the time I tried. :(  You can still find them now and again, but at about 25 UKP each I don't think I'll bother now. You still need a RAM chip and crystal to get it to do anything.

Both that and the Basic Stamp were closer to Tiny BASIC though. You can't compare them to MMBasic.
Edited 2022-04-24 02:43 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Glen0

Posted: 01:27am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've just received my order of the Waveshare zero's. Eagerly connected it up the same way I have done with numerous Picomites and loaded V5.07.03 and it all worked well,(I could load and run a program) until I disconnected it and tried to connect again, Windows did not recognise it.
Windows only sees it when I use the initial boot method to load MMBASIC
This happens on my Surface Pro as well as a new Dell Laptop.
Also tried V5.07.04 and same thing

Any ideas would be welcomed

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 02:07am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

will the RP2040-LCD-0.96, a Pico-like MCU Board Based on Raspberry Pi MCU RP2040, with LCD work ?
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:23am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check all the hardware: I/O pins (where are they connected etc) & LCD (same hardware as is supported? etc).

Are all the numbers (pins, addresses etc) the same... just check, check, check.

Er... didn't you do all that before buying???

John
Edited 2022-05-11 17:24 by JohnS

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:43am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said   PIA SIMATIC STEP 7 software.

Oh don't get me started on Siemens  

Right now, I'm ripping-out a brand-new Simatic-7. Some clown believed that he could control a 5-axis CNC Tube Bender with it....WRONG!!!  

It's getting 4 PicoMites, 3 of which are PLCs and an 8-core Parallax-P2 (for the real-time motion control).

Got about $8K of Siemens stuff here that I can let go for a fraction of that amount.

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:53am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm surprised the S7 can't handle it - if they used the right modules. They can be damn fast, especially with the intelligent cards and the later processors. Whether the programming is up to scratch is another story, and using the basic IO modules will slow things down. The trouble with that stuff is that it's expensive to get the clever bits.

(Spent many a happy hour doing generator control with the old S5 stuff!)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:46am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Too much coordination and collision avoidance, constantly switching between master/slave axes. Not to mention interpolation.

There's a lot more going on than what the video shows.

Regular CNCs such as mills, lathes, plasma-cutters is child's-play in comparison.

Craig

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:10am 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ GlenO - It worked fine for me.  Windoze 10 Pro.  Plug it in, and connect to the COM port just as any other PicoMite or MicroMite.  Are you on Windoze 11 by any chance?

Glen0

Posted: 09:31pm 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster
Why just me haha
The surface pro is Win11 Home edition
the Dell Laptop is Win 10 Pro
I have also tried connecting via a powered hub in case the demand on the USB 5V was too great, still no go.
I have another, untested, module which I will have a go at. I was a little lax on my anti-static precautions when I did played with the first one so I might have altered the smoke inside a little.
Will let you know how it goes

Glen0

Posted: 02:39am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster
I tried the other WS Zero and I get roughly the same problem.
It looks like a driver issue. Any chance you can check what driver your Windoze uses?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 03:24am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen0 said  @Grogster
I tried the other WS Zero and I get roughly the same problem.
It looks like a driver issue. Any chance you can check what driver your Windoze uses?

Under W10 and W11, the pico should use Microsoft drivers.
It appears as a USB Serial device.

One problem I had with the pico, it didn't like any other activity (from other devices) on the USB when installing.
I had to put the pico on a separate hub all to it's self. I don't know if things have improved.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 03:58am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
  Rickard5 said   PIA SIMATIC STEP 7 software.

Oh don't get me started on Siemens  

Right now, I'm ripping-out a brand-new Simatic-7. ......

Got about $8K of Siemens stuff here that I can let go for a fraction of that amount.

Craig

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:26am 13 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ GlenO: I guess you have already tried a full restart?  Not just a reboot, but a full shut-down and restart.  This will reset the USB sub-system at a hardware level, by powering it off totally.  Warm shutdowns or reboots don't necessarily do that.

As Jim says, I am just using the standard MS USB driver that comes with W10 for my board, and it picks it up fine.  I've tried a few times now, and it picks it up every single time.

Remove ALL USB connections(except keyboard and mouse if they are USB), and try plugging the module DIRECTLY into your machine(s) - bypass any USB hubs for now, just to see if you have a hub problem, as that can(and does) happen.

Keep us updated!

Do you have a standard RP Pico module?
If you do, if you plug THAT in, does it connect?
If the WS one won't talk to you, as the hardware is essentially the same as far as the USB is concerned(directly into the 2040 chip via a couple of tiny series resistors), then I would expect the Pico module to also NOT want to talk - if there is indeed some kind of driver issue.

Watching with interest.

Glen0

Posted: 12:26am 14 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster

Yup, went through all the obligatory troubleshoot steps, a few times, but no go.
However,,,, I connected the 2nd WS Zero to an older surface pro and it worked just fine.
I then connected it to the original surface pro and it works on there now as well
The first WS Zero seem to be useless. I wonder if they will replace it?
Ah well, chalk it down to experience.
Thanks for the help.
Edit: how did you get to the onboard LED. Would you mind sharing the program?
Edited 2022-05-14 10:45 by Glen0

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:44am 15 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You are correct - you might just have a dud module.  If you are interested in me testing it for you as we are both Kiwi's, let me know via a PM.

My testing code for the onboard LED:

'WS2812 LED tester
DIM b%(2)=(RGB(red), RGB(green), RGB(blue))
SetPin GP16,DOUT
DO
 For X=0 To 2
   BitBang WS2812 O,GP16,1,b%(X)
   Pause 100
 Next
LOOP

SUB RGB_OFF
 BitBang WS2812 O,GP16,1,RGB(black)
END SUB

Run the code to cycle through the three primary colours on the 2812.
As the 2812 has it's own little controller chip inside, stopping the code will NOT turn the LED off, neither will entering the editor, so use the "Command" RGB_OFF when you stop the program with CTRL-C etc, to turn the LED off.

Glen0

Posted: 09:58pm 16 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Grogster
Those certainly are bright LED's.
I will order more boards if I find a need for them.
I don't see any economical sense in sending the dud down to you but thanks for the offer.

k2backhoe

Posted: 01:26am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GlenO
I had a similar problem of a waveshare zero that stopped working for a while.  Every day I tried to resurrect it.  I could get it to reload the .uf2, but not show up on the TeraTerm Serial port choices.  After 3 days it started working again.  I think it happened after I reversed my USB-C plug.  Try different cables (if you have more than one) and different USB-C plug orientations.  Glad I didn't throw it away, it works great again.
I know there are some wiring differences depending on orientation of USB-C and the receiver implementation.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024