Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:15 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Create a variable, set it to True and then false...

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:34am 02 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After jumping through hoops, run the program and get 1.1K attaboys  

This is the garbage that I am replacing

Look at the comments      

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:13am 02 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You may have noticed though, a lot of companies look at the manufacturer of the software and say "Yes, we've heard of that. It'll be fine". It doesn't matter to them if it's a pile of junk - they don't have to get it working or maintain it. Hand them a PCB with all sorts of stuff they don't know about though and they'll be extremely sceptical about letting it anywhere near their systems, even if it's vastly superior in every way.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 09:54am 02 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  After jumping through hoops, run the program and get 1.1K attaboys  

Look at the comments      

Craig

What's wrong with it? I know nothing about PLCs being a professional BASIC programmer (yes, there are many of us still around!) This video seemed quite clear and understandable to me. If I was interested in learning the subject, these tiny steps would be the best way for me to learn.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 04:44am 04 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

toml_12953 said  
  Tinine said  After jumping through hoops, run the program and get 1.1K attaboys  

Look at the comments      

Craig

What's wrong with it? I know nothing about PLCs being a professional BASIC programmer (yes, there are many of us still around!) This video seemed quite clear and understandable to me. If I was interested in learning the subject, these tiny steps would be the best way for me to learn.

Well, if you know BASIC then "structured text" is a walk-in-the-park. All you need to do is stick a ":" before the "=" (pretty much).

They can't call it BASIC though because "it ain't cool, man". You can mention Python or C all day long  

Learning? At some point you might want to actually drive some hardware. For the cost of a couple of pints, we can be flashing LED's on a Picomite and reading hardware inputs.
Then we can move on to serial-comm's, SPI, I2C, etc., etc.

To do the same with Beckhoff, you'll need some deep pockets. Like the guy states [paraphrasing] "unless you are at UNI with a lab full of Beckhoff hardware....".

And then, once you have the Beckhoff IPC (Industrial Personal Computer), their proprietary I/O modules and a licence, all you end up doing is using their libraries.

I was recently called-out to work on a machine, fitted with this stuff. The client had purchased it used. He'd seen it working before he took ownership but then, on his factory floor, the screen came up "Invalid run-time licence"..Huh?

It was all typical Windows nonsense; zillions of meaningless folders and menus and nothing made sense. I made a call to Beckhoff support and, admittedly, the response was first-rate.
Clearly, they were familiar with this issue and said that I needed to get the system online and they would hook-up via Team Viewer. Great, no internet access in the factory and my phone signal was too weak for the hotspot to work with Team Viewer. Pulled the rack-mount PC and dragged it up to the front office to get it online. Ah, no-can-do because the system didn't like not being connected to the I/O network.
They ended-up sending a guy out - at great expense - to rebuild some config-file or other.  

Craig
Edited 2022-05-04 14:58 by Tinine

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024