Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:39 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Laser printer madness....

Page 2 of 2    
robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 08:23am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this video discusses this at around the 0:45 mark. whole video is only 2 minutes long:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglVxlQA2AA

i've bought a few Brother HL-1210W printers for a couple or three dollars each over the years, and given them to friends and family. they are indeed an extremely reliable printer, with 3rd party toners costing less than $20 on trademe. my only complaint about the printer is that you can't close the front cover unless you remove the (A4) paper from the in tray.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2022-05-05 18:25 by robert.rozee

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:04am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the video link - I will watch now.

Yes, my HL-1210W printer has been a star.  
I have refueled it with plain black toner gawd only knows how long now, and it just prints and prints and prints.

No complaints about Brother as a brand, only the price of the consumables.

Rob said  my only complaint about the printer is that you can't close the front cover unless you remove the (A4) paper from the in tray.

Yeah, me too, but the printer is so tiny(physically), that I don't hold that against it myself.  You can tuck it in just about anywhere.

I'm going now, to try to fix the existing colour toners from my colour laser, and I will post back with the results.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:18am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to have a HL-1210 (if I remember the number correctly). It was a great little printer until the feed stopped working properly. Many attempts to fix it were futile - it insisted in either jamming or skewing no matter what I did. Just after I retired I got the opportunity to get a new printer and ended up with this HL-3152CDW colour one - I don't regret it in the least. :) It is *appreciably* bigger though. lol

Incidentally, I originally went for the Brother printers because they do official drivers for linux - not cut-down reduced facilities ones either.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:13am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Progress.

Using the existing toner cartridges, I removed both the magenta and the yellow ones, and removed the "Doctor blade", scraped all toner off the edge of it, wipe with tissue, replace, then scrape the rubber roller with a sharp knife lengthwise along the roller, turning it a bit at a time.

There seemed to be some kind of crusty build-up of crud on the rubber at closer inspection, and this scraped off quite easily using a sharp knife.

As I turned the roller a bit each time, I could see this was having an effect, and that fresh toner was now being uniformly placed on the roller.

Here is the result of one pass of cleaning like this:

Note that there are no streaks in the lower two sets of decals, and that the gray background is also now MUCH more uniform.
There is still evidence of an issue in the upper two decals, which is also evident with the same pattern on the magenta toner roller, so I will give it another clean now, and hope that fixes this one also, but basically, I pretty much have useable colour printouts again now.  

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:22am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's *much* better. :) Looks like it's worth the effort.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:29am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

UPDATE:  Woo Hoo!!!  

ALL of these decals are now perfectly usable.
While things are working well, I think I will print out a few more pages, so I have plenty moving forward.

I have several decal designs I need to print, so tonight might be a bit of a work-night for the laser printer.

Another shot of the before and after effects:

The result is actually looking much better then even these photos show, as the lighting and my camera are not the best.  Suffice it to say, that the results now, are 100% compared to before.
Edited 2022-05-07 18:36 by Grogster

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 08:36am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good news Grogs

Out of interest, what medium (paper) are you using to do the printing on?

Brian
ChopperP

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:39am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Brian: Just plain A4 printer paper at this stage.  I do have ultra-fine matte paper that I can also use, but I am just testing at this stage.

Generally, once I know things will print OK, I switch to the matte paper, and print the decals on that, then once you laminate those and apply a double-sided A4 page to that, then punch out the holes etc, you have a very durable decal with a glossy finish thanks to the laminating process.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that Grogs.
ChopperP

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024