Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:12 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : The most deadly project on the Internet....

Page 1 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:09am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, this video describes it well.....

VIDEO

The fact that people still play with MOT's frightens me.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Kabron

Posted: 09:51am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Too many letters, no any actions

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 10:03am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They make good weights though  .

BTW try this - with the MO closed, slowly press the open-door button. I have found in many cases, before the door opens, the oven will start up !! ie fan, light, probably the magnetron as well...Pressing further opens the door and switches things off. Bit of a worry - hopefully the power drops out before any drama. Nothing worse than having your brussel sprouts burnt    

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:59am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I love Big Clive's stuff. :)

The first time I came across using a MOT for wood burning I thought "WTF??? At least it'll remove some extremely stupid people from the gene pool." It was probably a reaction to using pressure testers on the control panels at work. - and they have a low current fast-acting circuit breaker on the transformer primary as they aren't anticipating a load. MOTs do expect a load, quite a hefty one too. If you were designing the ideal transformer to kill people with it would be very similar to a MOT.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 11:10am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry I'm a Cold Hearted Texan, all I heard was some was My Mother's Irish Catholic ancestors saying "DARWIN, now don't feel bad you took that $100 for welding up some Pipe Rail, Because Darwin" Over and Over

But still Safer than This
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:33am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That bloke's an idiot first class. No appreciation for electrical safety (hands resting on the metal battery cases at opposite ends of 600VDC when the cases are rated to about 12v. That could be straight across his heart.). I'm moderately surprised that he survived to post the video. Never underestimate human stupidity.
Mick

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:08pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MOT - Microwave Oven Transformer?

Clearly not MoT...

John

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep. :)
If you can get 2000vAC out of your car when it goes for an MoT it'll probably fail.
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Yep. :)
If you can get 2000vAC out of your car when it goes for an MoT it'll probably fail.

It confused me last year to learn that MOT is also a type of hardcore used for laying drives ... exciting if you get 2000vAC out of that too!

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-05-05 23:20 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  MOT is also a type of hardcore used for laying drives

I have no idea what that means--"hardcore", "laying drives" (not to mention MOT)

~
Edited 2022-05-05 23:31 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:36pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe something to do with tractors? Ask a UK politician.
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:34pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  I have no idea what that means--"hardcore", "laying drives" (not to mention MOT)

"England and America [& Canada?] are two countries separated by the same language.", George Bernard Shaw

hardcore - in this context, gravel.
drive - the piece of asphalt, concrete or other hard-standing on your property on which you park your car. I guess the etymology would go back to the private roads leading up to big stately homes.
laying drives - building/installing a drive, c.f. laying bricks.
MOT - Motor Operability Test - annual fitness test required for all motor vehicles in the UK more than 3 years old.
MOT - Moggie Operability Test - annual trip to the veterinarian for the family cat.
MOT - a grade of gravel used for laying drives (apparently), presumably an acryonym of something.
MOT - Microwave Oven Transformer (?).
politician - professional self-serving, venal liar (at least as far as the current generation goes.)

Hope this helps,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, right. In the U.S./Canada a "drive" for a residence might imply a longish stretch, as for an estate. Most houses would have a "driveway".

When I got a small dump truck of gravel to fill a muddy spot in my driveway, I was asked if I wanted number something bluestone, and I said I guess so. It appears it might have been #7 or #57.

Pulling out empty, halfway out of the driveway into the road, the truck's axle broke. That was fun.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Ah, right. In the U.S./Canada a "drive" for a residence might imply a longish stretch, as for an estate. Most houses would have a "driveway".

Great but does anyone know why we park on a Driveway and drive on a Parkway ?
and maybe someone can explain why it is in the UK they drive on the left side of the Road, and once I leave Texas I have to drive on what's left of roads?
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Ah, right. In the U.S./Canada a "drive" for a residence might imply a longish stretch, as for an estate. Most houses would have a "driveway".

Great but does anyone know why we park on a Driveway and drive on a Parkway ?
and maybe someone can explain why it is in the UK they drive on the left side of the Road, and once I leave Texas I have to drive on what's left of roads?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:11am 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, that TylerTube fella is crazy.  As others have pointed out, 9v batteries are not insulated to even a few hundred volts to say nothing of 4.5kv!!!

Another "Amazing he's alive" kind of video and experiment.

"Someone with a little knowledge, is a very dangerous thing."
I can't remember who said that, and it is probably not verbatim, but I always remembered that, and it is SO TRUE for many people.  They learn a little about something, then classify themselves an expert on the subject - I'm sure we have all run into those kinds of people in our lives.

If you're doing plumbing and get it wrong, at worst you will have a bad leak and maybe some flooding damage.
If you're doing electrical and get it wrong, at worst you're dead.  

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 04:27am 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, A little knowledge can be dangerous.
On the other hand A little knowledge can save your life.....As in, know well enough not to stuff around with something....

An educated idiot is another one...unfortunately, its quite common these days....in high places.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 05:22am 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ohh it get's so much better Give an Idiot a LiOn Battery and Here I can't describe what Darwinism is you have to see it.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:07am 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've deleted your double-up post.

Crazy Russians with power can be very entertaining - just don't do what they do!

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:42pm 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  "Someone with a little knowledge, is a very dangerous thing."

Alexander Pope:
A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024