Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:18 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : SC Pi Pico LCD board ?

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 09:37am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Silicon Chip published a Pico backpack board (March issue). Any builders / comments ?
I am wondering about building one as a simple program dev board, on one hand it is cheap and accessible, on the other the A/D is a bit iffy.
Also wondering about the power supply options,  there is a 3.3v connection pin but I guess it is mainly aimed at using USB, (?)

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:28am 05 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did a PicoMite backpack board a while ago. No need to pay SC for one. :)
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=13981&P=2#172631

There' a manual later in the thread.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:56am 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The other concern I have is about the LCD. In the article screen shots, the LCD has different brightness in the centre than at the left or right flanks. is that visible to the human eye or is it an artefact of the photo and printing process ?

phil99

Guru

Posted: 01:25am 06 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"is that visible to the human eye or is it an artefact of the photo and printing process ?"

If you set any of these small LCDs to white and run a photo transistor connected to a multimeter over them the brightness does vary, so the photo is probably right. I am sure our eyes can also detect it but our brains filter it out. Natural lighting varies so dramatically that we would be unable to make sense of anything if we could not ignore such variation.
Early attempts at creating artificial vision found it very difficult to do outside the lab.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 02:48am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a refresher look at the article, (eg page 40) the screens show increasing blue background at the sides and more contrast in the centre. My gut feeling is that it is an effect of the photo, such that the viewing angle for some pixels are different for humans seeing it further away than the camera viewpoint.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:33am 07 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ZeitFest, All,

I built one of the SC boards but installed an ILI9341 (320x240) display instead of the ILI9488 and there is no sign of the flaring as shown in the pictures.

I would take a guess at it being the camera shot.

Regards,

Mick
Edited 2022-05-07 13:34 by bigmik
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024